Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel vibration

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wheel vibration

    Ok, I had some vibration through the steering wheel at around 60-70 for quite a little while, but i knew the front tyres were almost dead and put it down to un-even wear. I've had 2 new front tyres, balancing and tracking done AND IT'S BLOODY WORSE!

    Now, I just thought this morning that I could have lost a weight on the drive home. This happened to me last tyre change, but I left the house in the dark this morning and didnt take my car, so I didn't check for a missing weight.

    The guy did tell me theres a slight buckle on the one alloy, but the balancing should take care of it. Is this right?

    I'll check for a missing weight when I get home, just wondering though, what if thats not it?

    What other cause could there be?

    Thanks,

    Matt

  • #2
    A "Slight buckle" ? Doesnt sound good... Was it a decent place you went?

    Are you able to swap front and rear wheels to see if the vibrations transfer to the back...

    Possibly a wheel weight depends how bad it feels really..
    Corsa VXR Arden, 18's
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah reputable place.

      "A slight buckle" were the words used, would it make the shake if i swap fronts and back around?

      Im hoping i've just lost a weight though.

      Comment


      • #4
        like VX AND said , swap the buckled wheel with one on the back , that way you`ll know if its the wheel ,
        as for losing a weight best take it back for rebalancing as the weights should really come off easy,

        Comment


        • #5
          A had this on last vxr and it was also a slight buckle in the alloy, so might be that right enouf
          sigpic
          Astra VXR,Focus ST,Astra VXR Burg 326,Focus RS,Bmw 3 Series Convertible
          And now have an
          Astra GTC VXR in Arden Blue
          Aero kit, AFL premium forward lighting, Sat nav, Dark rear tinted windows, Electric folding mirrors and Rear parking sensors

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ArdenBlueBrian View Post
            A had this on last vxr and it was also a slight buckle in the alloy, so might be that right enouf

            How did you sort it? Repair, replace or did you put it on back?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Netstar View Post
              How did you sort it? Repair, replace or did you put it on back?
              A was going to put it on back but one from back had same dent in rim so must ave been the same pot hole that did it, but a swapped it with back one on other side and it was better but am sure you could still feel a vibration through the car at higher speed.

              They aint cheap for a new alloy from vx (few £100 am sure) so best to try and put it on the back first mate.

              Oh is it 19's you have on it??
              sigpic
              Astra VXR,Focus ST,Astra VXR Burg 326,Focus RS,Bmw 3 Series Convertible
              And now have an
              Astra GTC VXR in Arden Blue
              Aero kit, AFL premium forward lighting, Sat nav, Dark rear tinted windows, Electric folding mirrors and Rear parking sensors

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ArdenBlueBrian View Post
                A was going to put it on back but one from back had same dent in rim so must ave been the same pot hole that did it, but a swapped it with back one on other side and it was better but am sure you could still feel a vibration through the car at higher speed.

                They aint cheap for a new alloy from vx (few £100 am sure) so best to try and put it on the back first mate.

                Oh is it 19's you have on it??
                yeah 19's.

                Got its MOT tomorrow, so I'll do some swapping then. It may turn out to be a lost weight, but ill swap and re-balance them all just incase.

                Comment


                • #9
                  my steering vibration is from warped disks apparently

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kitten View Post
                    my steering vibration is from warped disks apparently
                    if it was warped discks you would get vibration through ur brake whilst pressed!
                    BLACK TURLBY ASTRA 888 NUMBER 10

                    MK1 FOCUS RS

                    RED CORSA GSI

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Netstar View Post
                      yeah 19's.

                      Got its MOT tomorrow, so I'll do some swapping then. It may turn out to be a lost weight, but ill swap and re-balance them all just incase.
                      Yea mine was 19's aswell, seem to be prone to the odd dent/bash in them, obviously they are quite big with little tyre protection so its to be expected on the roads we drive on.
                      sigpic
                      Astra VXR,Focus ST,Astra VXR Burg 326,Focus RS,Bmw 3 Series Convertible
                      And now have an
                      Astra GTC VXR in Arden Blue
                      Aero kit, AFL premium forward lighting, Sat nav, Dark rear tinted windows, Electric folding mirrors and Rear parking sensors

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by astraturbo1987 View Post
                        if it was warped discks you would get vibration through ur brake whilst pressed!
                        yeah, when i braked the steering vibrated
                        fixed now

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X