This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alloy buckle repairable?

Had new tyres yesterday, guy said theres a slight buckle in the one wheel, but should balance out.

Theres another post about the wheel vibration, but just wondering if a "slightly buckled" alloy can be reapired anywhere? If so where? Anyone got any links or company names?

Im in South Wales, but dont mind a drive

Dunno if I would be happy driving a performance car with a damage repaired alloy.

Due to the metal composite, you really need to know your stuff to fix them, and that usually means money.

Personally, I'd look for a spare one.

Comment

Originally posted by Netstar View Post
      Had new tyres yesterday, guy said theres a slight buckle in the one wheel, but should balance out.

Theres another post about the wheel vibration, but just wondering if a "slightly buckled" alloy can be reapired anywhere? If so where? Anyone got any links or company names?

Im in South Wales, but dont mind a drive
      Have a think where you did it....... and take photos of the hole/damage in the road........... and inform the council of the damage. And damand compo!
      Corsa VXR Arden, 18's
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, i though replacement, but i am not buying a new one fron VX!

strange as i always see them for sale but now, nothing! Bugger all on ebay and other VX forums, Grr, bloody typical isnt it!

Cheers lads, was just a thought.

Comment

if its only a slight buckle its ok you'l get away with it, i'd personally put that alloy on the back for now that way you wont get no shakes in the steering being FWD
          sigpic
          GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Comment

Originally posted by vxr bad boy View Post
            if its only a slight buckle its ok you'l get away with it, i'd personally put that alloy on the back for now that way you wont get no shakes in the steering being FWD
            Yea if its only the one wheel give it a try on the back, better than spending loads on replacement or tryin to fix it(which prob aint easy),
            sigpic
            Astra VXR,Focus ST,Astra VXR Burg 326,Focus RS,Bmw 3 Series Convertible
            And now have an
            Astra GTC VXR in Arden Blue
            Aero kit, AFL premium forward lighting, Sat nav, Dark rear tinted windows, Electric folding mirrors and Rear parking sensors

Comment

Originally posted by ArdenBlueBrian View Post
              Yea if its only the one wheel give it a try on the back, better than spending loads on replacement or tryin to fix it(which prob aint easy),
              its an easy fix as its pointless having to get new alloys when you only have a slight buckle, i've seen people drop off aloys that are cracked in pieces for repair and he has got someone to weld and straighten cant be cheap though the amount of pot holes in the roads you'l be buying new alloys every week front o back is your best option, if problem carries on, might be worth getting straightened or get a replacement alloy of ebay and use the 'slightly buckled' one as a spare
              sigpic
              GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Comment

its an easy fix as its pointless having to get new alloys when you only have a slight buckle, i've seen people drop off aloys that are cracked in pieces for repair and he has got someone to weld and straighten cant be cheap though the amount of pot holes in the roads you'l be buying new alloys every week front o back is your best option, if problem carries on, might be worth getting straightened or get a replacement alloy of ebay and use the 'slightly buckled' one as a spare
                Awrite didnt no it was that easy to do,
                sigpic
                And now have an
                Aero kit, AFL premium forward lighting, Sat nav, Dark rear tinted windows, Electric folding mirrors and Rear parking sensors

Comment

Originally posted by ArdenBlueBrian View Post
                  Awrite didnt no it was that easy to do,
                  if you mean the alloy straightening or repair it isnt that easy and isnt cheap (depends on where you go really) but thats why i couldnt be asked with the 19s anyway they look better granted but the handling and the cracking incidents, i also think they are more prone to buckle due to the fact they are bigger and the tyres ahve a lower profile
                  sigpic
                  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Comment

Originally posted by VX AND View Post
                    Have a think where you did it....... and take photos of the hole/damage in the road........... and inform the council of the damage. And damand compo!
                    just on that info...i once clipped my rims on my old car on a roundabout where the kerb kind of sticks out into the road...

so if i was to have taken pics would i have been able to make a case of this?? as there were a lot of black marks where other cars had hit it from what i remember
                    Astra Edition #105
                    Courtenay Sport Stage 3|K04 Hybrid Turbo|Forge Intercooler|Collins Dump Valve|Courtenay Actuator and Top Hat|Crossover Delete with Panel Filter|Oil Restrictor Bolt|Cool Running Thermostat|DAP R's|KSport 8 pot Brakes|Remus|Quaife LSD|Mtech Short Shifter|RARB|Retrofit AFL's and Cruise Control|3 Gauge Conversion|Red and Blue SMD|Heko deflectors|Eonon Double Din

Comment

if you mean the alloy straightening or repair it isnt that easy and isnt cheap (depends on where you go really) but thats why i couldnt be asked with the 19s anyway they look better granted but the handling and the cracking incidents, i also think they are more prone to buckle due to the fact they are bigger and the tyres ahve a lower profile
                      Yea i agree, they look amazing on the 19's but its a big diff in the handling when its got 18's on.
                      sigpic
                      And now have an

Comment

Originally posted by L3E_A_X View Post
                        just on that info...i once clipped my rims on my old car on a roundabout where the kerb kind of sticks out into the road...

so if i was to have taken pics would i have been able to make a case of this?? as there were a lot of black marks where other cars had hit it from what i remember
                        Hmmm... not sure. I just know people who have claimed with pot-hole damage and a mate who rang up to complain they said he needed pics as proof. He goes back next day or so and hey-presto its filled in! So NO pics = No proof! HTH
                        Corsa VXR Arden, 18's
                        sigpic

Comment

Only problem is ive had 2 new tyres put on the front, so if i swpa the buckled one, looks like id have to remove the rubber and put it onto different alloy.

Easy to do, but a pain.

Also, like you mentioned earlier, who's to say the back one or both (god i hope not) have the same buckle! I'd have to then swap rubber on two tyres!

Why cant they just make aloys out of some super strong material like kryptonite of something!? Eww, thinking about it Arden Blue and bright green Not nice

Comment

Originally posted by Netstar View Post
                            Why cant they just make aloys out of some super strong material like kryptonite of something!? Eww, thinking about it Arden Blue and bright green Not nice
                            because then you would kill superman off and your 0-60 wouldbe like 6.1 years instead of seconds and you will be so weighed down
                            sigpic
                            GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Comment

Working...
                            X