Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's short sighted with semi rimless frames?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's short sighted with semi rimless frames?

As title...who wears semi rimless glasses that is really short sighted? I have a Sphere SPH of -5 and I get the high index lenses so that they are thinner. I've been told by Specsavers that I shouldn't get semi rimless ones because the lenses will be pretty thick at the edges still regardless of the thinner lenses. They also said they would be more susceptible to cracking.

I was very disappointed as I had decided on a pair that I really like! I can't really understand why I can't get semi-rimless ones...I think it's something to do with the curvature of the lens though due to the high prescription.

Surely some others on here have the same problem? Did you go ahead and get the semi rimless (or even rimless) ones and are you happy with them?

my mum has always had the same problem, lenses too thick for frames... luckily i'm not too blind yet so can wear any sort of glasses

Comment

my gfs eyes are pretty poor she cant have rimless glasses cause they come out like binoculars!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL she has fully framed but only wears them indoors shes addicted to contact lences

Comment

thats specsavers for you , you can get ultre thin lenses from other opticians but you`ll have to pay quite a bit more then you do at specsavers . when you realise how much you gotta pat for these you`ll be happy to stay with specsavers glasses ,

Comment

its mental how much you pay me and the missus both had new glasses this year she payed £250 mine were £350 rip off!!

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
            thats specsavers for you , you can get ultre thin lenses from other opticians but you`ll have to pay quite a bit more then you do at specsavers . when you realise how much you gotta pat for these you`ll be happy to stay with specsavers glasses ,
            Specsavers have several levels available. I think the highest available is 1.74 index lenses and these are the most expensive. I've had these previously from Vision Express.

I'd never been to specsavers before but they were the only ones to have the frames that I wanted. I was looking at a cost of £275 but they have a 25% discount on atm so just over £200!

Originally posted by 2 HEL View Post
            its mental how much you pay me and the missus both had new glasses this year she payed £250 mine were £350 rip off!!
            I've never paid less than £300 for my glasses due to the thinner lenses. My current glasses that I got three years ago cost £420 odd!!! I think the thinner lenses cost a bit more than they do now though but then I think vision express are expensive too. Think I'll go to spec savers from now on though...sod £400 odd for a game of soldiers!!

I think I'll check the index of the lenses available at specsavers and vision express to compare. Maybe vision express can do even thinner lenses and make semi rimless glasses look okay? If so, I'll ask them to match specsavers 25% discount!

Comment

i got diesel glasses from vision express there semi rimless and i had the thinner lenses they aint that bad !! they dont stick out really im pleased with them!! i didnt no you could get them to match specsavers? I could of saved myself a few bob lol

Comment

try Costco... Last time like few years ago I had lenses priced up on the 2nd thinest u could get for about £150 each or so... frames on average £100. I wear contact lenses most of the day and only wear glasses if i must like waking up for night piss...

Comment

I have given up buying glasses from highstreet opticians after paying £720 for oakley frames with Kodak thin & light lenses.

Now I get my eyes tested at local opticians and send my prescription to an online company who can get oakley frames and lenses for circa £150
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by soosie
                  Gosh Cerberus , yours is exceptionally long !
                  Originally posted by soosie
                  Gosh Cerberus , really, really HUGE !

Comment

Originally posted by 2 HEL View Post
                    i got diesel glasses from vision express there semi rimless and i had the thinner lenses they aint that bad !! they dont stick out really im pleased with them!! i didnt no you could get them to match specsavers? I could of saved myself a few bob lol
                    What strength do you need? Mine are -5 so pretty strong! Do you know what index lenses you had?

If vision express do even thinner lenses than specsavers then I may go to vision express as the thinner lenses are worth having.

Originally posted by Noose View Post
                    try Costco... Last time like few years ago I had lenses priced up on the 2nd thinest u could get for about £150 each or so... frames on average £100. I wear contact lenses most of the day and only wear glasses if i must like waking up for night piss...
                    Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                    I have given up buying glasses from highstreet opticians after paying £720 for oakley frames with Kodak thin & light lenses.

Now I get my eyes tested at local opticians and send my prescription to an online company who can get oakley frames and lenses for circa £150
                    Yeah, I have seen these online stores...not sure whether to use them though.

Comment

Originally posted by IanVXR View Post
                      What strength do you need? Mine are -5 so pretty strong! Do you know what index lenses you had?
                      i think im about 3 mate, even mine stick out a bit cause of the strength even tho i have had thinner lenses!! i dont no what index i had either.

my gf has 7.5 in one eye and 8.5 in another!!!!!!!!!!!!! she cant have semi framed AT ALL!

Comment

just to add to my other post... Costco is the American Warehouse store (this one isn't online)... you will need to get a membership before u can buy stuff from them... it's like a cash n carry. The lenses were Carl Zeiss lenses with a green tint anti glare etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X