Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can a ECU go in a one year old car?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How can a ECU go in a one year old car?

    Had my Corsa VXR in for Vauxhall to look at as the EM light had come on and it was reving its nuts off when stationary. My dealers say they have diagnosed the problem to the ECU being in need of replacing! Can't believe that it needs a new ECU after only 1 year ! My car is standard no engine mods.

    At least they are replacing it under warranty.

    Rant over

  • #2
    These things happen unfortunately - at least it looks like they are sorting it

    Astra

    Comment


    • #3
      Yep they are sorting it. Sorry for the rant I know these things can happen, I am just missing the power. I am addicted

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by vxr.corsa View Post
        Yep they are sorting it. Sorry for the rant I know these things can happen, I am just missing the power. I am addicted
        LOL - Understandable

        Astra

        Comment


        • #5
          Missing the power, in a Corsa, lol..............only joking

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jay 1983 View Post
            Missing the power, in a Corsa, lol..............only joking
            hahahaha made me do a small wee
            INSIGNIA VXR

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jay 1983 View Post
              Missing the power, in a Corsa, lol..............only joking

              Comment


              • #8
                and who wants to take a bet that when they do it the car will be the same afterwards then they will find an air leak, fix it and still bill VX for the ECU. Good luck
                sigpicAstra VXR Stage 2, 279.7bhp Petrol, 292.0 bhp LPG
                Zafira 222 BHP LPG (stage 1), 295 Petrol (stage 3)

                Need any stainless bolts for your rocker cover or anywhere else on your motor? PM for a good price

                Comment


                • #9
                  In a corvette, the battery is located directly above the ECU. Lot of problems with the first year of the C5 (1997) due to leakage of the sh!tty GM Delco batteries leaking, and then ruining the computers. First mod I did was toss the stock battery after 300 miles, and put in a RedTop.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sparticus View Post
                    and put in a RedTop.

                    Out of a Astra GTE?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jalfrezigazee View Post
                      and who wants to take a bet that when they do it the car will be the same afterwards then they will find an air leak, fix it and still bill VX for the ECU. Good luck
                      Do you work for Vauxhall or own a crystal ball LOL I have just picked the car up from the dealers. It was fine for the first 5 minutes then the EM light comes on and it is now reving its nuts off @ idiol, plus there is no power!!! Looks like they will be having it back first thing tommorrow morning. I am so angry .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Shall I say told you so lol. And yes I was a VX master technician for 7 years at a dealers. I was the FI specialist and saw so often that others in my works would be so confused by the FI that they would just say the ECU was gone. Then of course I would have to sort it out after the ECU was fitted. What people do when they see these issues is panic, as with all problems in life, start with the basics then work through a diagnostic list. If you were a paying customer they would say the new ECU was wrecked by something else on the car and that it isnt their fault, you would be back and forth many times, arguements with ensue then eventually when they find the fault (by luck or just changing everything one piece at a time from an identical car) you would be given a bill for 2 x ECU & loads of other parts, probably about 10 hours labour too. Get them to ring the VX technical help line and get VX to advise and open a case, then when the dude on the blower says to change a part they are covered and will put more effort into it
                        sigpicAstra VXR Stage 2, 279.7bhp Petrol, 292.0 bhp LPG
                        Zafira 222 BHP LPG (stage 1), 295 Petrol (stage 3)

                        Need any stainless bolts for your rocker cover or anywhere else on your motor? PM for a good price

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          feel for ya m8. i had a similar problem revs jumping at idiol, emission warning light coming on while drving and then losing all power after the service light came on and the exhaust sounded like a machine gun constantly popping. took it back to vx and after a full week they decided to replace the engine after replacing the cambelt and pistons which cured **** all. lucky it was still under warranty thou. i would hated to foot the bill for that lol.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jalfrezigazee View Post
                            Shall I say told you so lol. And yes I was a VX master technician for 7 years at a dealers. I was the FI specialist and saw so often that others in my works would be so confused by the FI that they would just say the ECU was gone. Then of course I would have to sort it out after the ECU was fitted. What people do when they see these issues is panic, as with all problems in life, start with the basics then work through a diagnostic list. If you were a paying customer they would say the new ECU was wrecked by something else on the car and that it isnt their fault, you would be back and forth many times, arguements with ensue then eventually when they find the fault (by luck or just changing everything one piece at a time from an identical car) you would be given a bill for 2 x ECU & loads of other parts, probably about 10 hours labour too. Get them to ring the VX technical help line and get VX to advise and open a case, then when the dude on the blower says to change a part they are covered and will put more effort into it
                            Yep you told me so! You can't remember the technical helplines phone number can you(just incase the garage dont know it)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by vxrrob View Post
                              feel for ya m8. i had a similar problem revs jumping at idiol, emission warning light coming on while drving and then losing all power after the service light came on and the exhaust sounded like a machine gun constantly popping. took it back to vx and after a full week they decided to replace the engine after replacing the cambelt and pistons which cured **** all. lucky it was still under warranty thou. i would hated to foot the bill for that lol.
                              I wouldn't mind if they did decide change my engine as this is starting to p1ss me off! How long did it take for them to get you a replacement engine? I am already suffering from not having my motor.
                              I glad that they managed to sort yours out.

                              PS How old is your motor as I am thinking is it a problem with a certain build number etc.. My car is just over a year old.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X