This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a tree that has linked a widow to her late husband

As most of yas know im in the british forces! i was out on salisbury plane when we occupied a small hide, as i was looking around i noticed alot of scrapings in the trees! the one that stood out most was this

its small but it says bob hughes, loraine ohio!
    All around this tree were other carvings with dates like 1944 and 43 and this is the area where the d day rehersals were held!

i contacted a loraine ohio newpaper and withing 5 mins they had discovered bob hughes had died in 2001! they were in the process of trying to contact his wife to inform her of what i had found!

just waiting on an email to see if he was involved in d day and if any of his surviving friends have there names in the surrounding trees
    Last edited by randomgary; 21 December 2008, 12:54 PM.

sigpic

Originally posted by randomgary View Post
    As most of yas know im in the british forces! i was out on salisbury plane when we occupied a small hide, as i was looking around i noticed alot of scrapings in the trees! the one that stood out most was this

All around this tree were other carvings with dates like 1944 and 43 and this is the area where the d day rehersals were held!

i contacted a loraine ohio newpaper and withing 5 mins they had discovered bob hughes had died in 2001! they were in the process of trying to contact his wife to inform her of what i had found!

just waiting on an email to see if he was involved in d day and if any of his surviving friends have there names in the surrounding trees
    Bet it's pretty eery (sp?) being there knowing thousands of people have been there before and not come back alive?

When I went to the somme with school I had the same feeling. It's as if you can smell the death in the air. No wild animals around, just forests, war memorials and the sheep they put there to keep the grass short as it's too dangerous for people to go and cut the grass due to mines etc

Comment

i find thhis stuff really interesting, just not good to lose loved one, but nice when you can re-trace there last steps

##WWW.REVITUPUK.COM, We buy cars for cash, finance packages available & accept all major debit & credit cards & OUR NEW SERVICE DETAILING PACKAGES##

Comment

Well done, what a good thing to find. I hope they find her

Comment

I'm forces too, but of the floating variety. We performed a burial at sea just a few weeks back for a family. The man had spent 31 years in the Navy and his family had held his ashes until our ship, the namesake of his last, visited their town. It's really touching and quite humbling to be able to be involved in something like this. When we pass over old naval wrecks where there has been a loss of life, it really makes you appreciate the hardships our ancestors endured to bring us the freedom we once had.

What you did Gary is an honour to the British forces and the work they do. Not simply fighting wars. But remembering to never forget those who died before us. I hope the woman involved gets this information.

I don't know what squaddies drink (apart from everything), but have a tot of rum on me!

Comment

would have been nice if the old fella was still around! but now the place will be remembered and hopefully never forgotten

sigpic

Comment

Good for you Gary

Comment

Originally posted by randomgary View Post

Nice find Gary, fascinating to contemplate the things that have happened through time in various locations. Love, Loss, The lot.

Comment

Working...
                X