X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empty camera box

Just a word of warning

Just wrapping up my daughters digital camera and noticed that the sony tamperproof seal was broken!

Opened it up and sure enough it was'nt inside

I bought it from Argos in Croydon. If anyone else has bought high value goods and not checked them, I would suggest that you do, as it wont make for a very merry christmas if you have the same luck as me
    sigpic

That is crazy ! i can't believe that has happened.

i bet it will be quite difficult to prove at Argos too.

dont let it put a downer on things mate, have a good christmas and sort it out afterwards !

Comment

Tell me about it.

I tell you what though, I wont be leaving Argos untill I have my camera.

I bought 5 items and all of them were put into a bag for me, so it was'nt checked. Obviously, what with Argos, and myself being very busy I did'nt check that the camera was in the box.

I'm sure that they will have a few unhappy customers on boxing day, as I doubt very much that the theiving bast**d only took this one item

Merry christmas though
      sigpic

Comment

chin up mate, dont let it spoil your day, merry christmas to you and your family

Rabbid Tuned - WG Motorworks
        www.wgmotorworks.co.uk

Comment

Cheers mate, It's not my day that it will spoil though, It's my 13yo daughters

Still, she's quite grown up, so i know she will understand

Merry christmas
          sigpic

Comment

man that is bang out of order i suppose they are busy this time of year but whoever served you should have checked the seal. I suppose its different with jewellery but when i bought a few watches from there they opened them all up to make sure they were in the box.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your missing camera, i dont suppose argos will believe you when you go back to the shop (unless there is a queue of complaints of other missing items)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dave.tam View Post
                Just a word of warning

Just wrapping up my daughters digital camera and noticed that the sony tamperproof seal was broken!

Opened it up and sure enough it was'nt inside

I bought it from Argos in Croydon. If anyone else has bought high value goods and not checked them, I would suggest that you do, as it wont make for a very merry christmas if you have the same luck as me
                Silly question, but did you not check this when you bought the item?
                sigpic

Comment

i wouldnt be very happy at all not many people check the item is in the box usually anyways should be in there in the first place looks like someone in argos has taken it out of the box and stolen it
                  Arden Racing Edition

Comment

Dave sorry to hear this m8.

Company i used to work for did the cameras at Argos across the uk, all stores have cameras in holding areas, and for such items as digi cameras they are placed into a cage rack with cameras in it.

Go about it in the correct manner (sure i don't need to tell you that). Ask to speak to the manager or duty manager in Private, tell them the problem and ask where it would have been stored in the holding area, then ask if they have cameras and if so may you have a copy of the images. They can charge for this (upto £20 as per data protection charges) but only ask for the images if it seems to be a problem and the manager wont help you.

Just try and keep calm m8, speak to them normally but insist you will not let this drop, ask their full name and branch no of the Argoss store, ask for the name of the regional manager and the regional security manager (each region has one) and then tell them you intend to report it to the police. The police wont be able to do anything from you as it would need to be Argos reporting it as theft, but argos need to get the proof it was stolen. Report the whole thing to argos head office and then ask them for the contact no of the regional manager and inform him.
                    If they do sort it tomorrow with no problems then still worth contacting head office and informing them as it may not be the 1st time.

Just remember they may need some time to sort it out as boxing day will me mayhem.

Good luck and keep us posted
                    sigpic

Comment

Under the dpa you have no legal right to any stored images, unless those images were taken of yourself without your knowledge.

It will be up to the stores or regional security manager to view the images if they see fit.
                      sigpic

Comment

with or without your knowledge you are entitled. It is a premises made open to general public, just like you can ask to have a copy of video footage from a police car that you have been recorded on. Dave walked into the shop, that way he can ask for the footage, they will be to thick to realise that he isnt allowed the footage from the rear and only from the shop floor. We have to burn images for people all the time, not argos, but another store and they dont understand dpa
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice. I've got a feeling that there will be quite a few unhappy customers tomorrow, as i doubt very much that this is a one off. (probably a seasonal member of staff that has'nt been vetted fully/properly)

The only place it could have been taken is in the rear of the store and I know that they have cctv there.

Im sure that without causing a scene they will replace the camera and either way I will be writing to head office, as I had an unhappy child this morning and it was Argos' fault. I know that I should have checked the item before leaving the premesis, but I did'nt. Still does'nt make me the one in the wrong, as I'm not the one that employs a thief.
                          sigpic

Comment

How much did it cost i will send your daughter the money myself how dissapointing to hear that she must have been upset, dont let it spoil your day.

Comment

Did you pre-order the item, if so there is a tenical theft as you have paid for the item. At the time that you purchase the item and one is put aside for you it becomes you property, it doesnt matter that you havent actaully had it in your posession yet. You could report this to the Police and they 'should' invistage the matter and speak with the staff, how likely this is to happen though i dont know, each force has different policies with dealing with thing.

As Eamonn has said, go in and sepak with the manager, atke all the paperwork, box, receipts etc and explain what happened. The problem your going to encounter initially is that they may think that your trying to rip them off. They will no doubt want to do an internal investigation and get back to you. I highly doubt they will give you a new camera there and then without doing some digging.

Make sure your happy with what they are going to do and if you did pre-order inform them that unless you get a new camera the police will be informed meaning staff could be arrested and interviewed.

Comment

Working...
                              X