Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody wanna touch on the Virginia Tech thing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody wanna touch on the Virginia Tech thing?

Living here, I only get one side of the news. I'm always curious to know how the rest of the world feels. Looking at the headlines from France, Australia, Germany, I'm under the impression that the rest of the world is under the impression that America is full of gun-toting rednecks. If this is inappropriate to ask, mods can delete, I'm just curious. Flamesuit is ON, and I'm extremely hard to offend, so blast away. Serious.

The way I see it, If its harder to get a gun (like the UK) the chances are the need for a "piece" for self defence is far less important.

You will never get away from organised crime firearms but if any billy on the street can buy a gun? Your asking for trouble.

Dont get me wrong I feel really bad for all the victims over there. A tragedy anywhere is not a good thing.

Comment

Theres nutters all over the world and this is just another one it happens, A tragedy for the people affected but there by the geace of god we all go.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

Echoed what Baz said, Avaliability of firearms is what is causing vast majority of these issues, its a never ending cycle.

Unstable person buys gun
        Unstable person decides to gun down a group of innocent people
        500 more people buy a gun for self protection.

If the way the whole situation was handled by police over there is as we have seen reported in the British media then some serious questions need to be asked.

Why after the first shooting in the morning was the whole site not evacuated?
        Why was the 'facility staff members concerns' not taken seriously?

There was even a piece in one of the papers here today which visited the gunshop where the chap purchased the pistols from, the owner was 'bragging'(maybe made to look that way by our media) about how sales had gone up so sharply after the incident. If this is accurate then in my mind there is no wonder there is all these school/public shootings in the states.

You'll still get nutters everywhere, but providing them with such access and avalibility of firearms can't be helping matters.

Comment

When I was in Florida in 2000, we nipped into Wallmart late one night for a few supplies, and between the garden furniture and the fruit and veg was the gun counter............it was a bit surreal!

SHOPPING LIST

Apples...
          Shampoo...
          Cornflakes...
          Gun...
          Couple of rounds of ammo...
          Bottle of wine....

All you needed to purchase one......proof of ID, i.e passport or driving license

Any weapon in the wrong hands is always a dangerous thing......and the guy that did it obviously had 'issues'..........however a crackdown on gun laws in the US would surely help the situation?

It's a terrible thing and it will keep happening until someone (BUSH!) takes more action and sorts it out!

My opinion only!

Kat

P.S I had a hamster called Spartacus.........
          YOU CAN ALL K155 MY VXR's!!

sigpic

It takes 46 muscles to frown.....but only 4 to flip 'em the bird!!!

Comment

If you accept that you will never remove firearms (especially handguns) form American society then all the anti gun lobby actually cause more problems, I heard a very reasonable bloke on bbc news tell how they had been trying to have VT allow CCW (Concealed Weapon Permits) for students over 21 and professors but the campus authorities refused, I can't help thinking if just 1 or 2 students or a professor in that building was packing, it would have turned out quite different or even had the gunman known he might have run into someone who could have shot back, it may never have happened.

Comment

How the UK media are portraying it there was tell tale signs that this guy was going to do something more than write letters and stalk a few people. Also the fact that guns are so readily available only fuels the problem. Emotionally unstable people should not be given lethal weapons in my opinion. The guy was in a mental institution at one point, surely the US law should state that if you are emotionally unstable enough to require a stay in an institution this kind of person should not be allowed a gun.

But I'm only basing my thoughts on what the media is showing.. the UK media is known for showing stories in such a way that the truth is masked or twisted to cause beliefs over the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystvxr
                I can't help thinking if just 1 or 2 students or a professor in that building was packing, it would have turned out quite different or even had the gunman known he might have run into someone who could have shot back, it may never have happened.
                And therein, lies the rub. I hunt rabbits and quail, so I have a few shotguns (one 20ga. and one 12ga.). Won't ever get a handgun-wifezilla has put her foot down on this because of the three little ones we have running around the house. Personally, I've never felt a need to own a handgun. Living in Chicago for a long time, not very many people owned a hand gun. When I moved down south, however, people would ask me why I DON'T have a gun. There's a few cities in Georgia that have laws REQUIRING homeowners to have a gun! This is not unusual anywhere down in the southern United States, either! It's almost like a completely different country, within a country. Witness the American Civil War. People in this country feel that it is their God-given right to own a gun, and personally I agree with them. Handguns just ain't for me. When the founding fathers wrote the Bill of Right, the second thing they put in there was 'The Right To Bear Arms'. You can thank your very own King George for that one, for he was adamant about keeping the colonies, and Madison, Jefferson, Hancock and a few others were all for arming the people. Yes, that was 250 years ago. Yes, things are very different now. But, The Bill of Rights is the one document that every American holds sacred; it's the 'bible' of democracy, if you will. So I, along with the majority of the country, feel that if you start tinkering with one amendment, then pretty soon you're tinkering with all of them, and that would be disasterous. No, it's not a perfect system, and stuff like Virginia Tech will always haunt us backers of the Constitution. There will be a lot of finger pointing, name calling and blaming, and probably a ton of lawsuits that stem from this. So, the best we can do is learn from it. I know-tell that to the families of the victims. But the needs of the many have always outweighed the needs of the few. I'll get off of the soapbox now. Feel free to rip apart my sinopsis. :wink:

Comment

Must say my view on America is a little bias. I lived in Virgina for 5 years back in the 70's, and 3rd August 1976 I saw a man get shot. He did not die as shot was to the sholder, but it still had a lasting impression.
                  Just before Christmas I was in St. Petersburg, found out that many in our office there also own guns for "personal protection". Bit of a suprise that as indeed the USA is where the media focus when takling gun crime.

Anyhow speaking of Americians, its out landlady's 41st birthday today, she is from New York. Funny having a village pub being run by an Americian.

Comment

Originally posted by sparticus
                    Originally posted by Mystvxr
                    I can't help thinking if just 1 or 2 students or a professor in that building was packing, it would have turned out quite different or even had the gunman known he might have run into someone who could have shot back, it may never have happened.
                    And therein, lies the rub. I hunt rabbits and quail, so I have a few shotguns (one 20ga. and one 12ga.). Won't ever get a handgun-wifezilla has put her foot down on this because of the three little ones we have running around the house. Personally, I've never felt a need to own a handgun. Living in Chicago for a long time, not very many people owned a hand gun. When I moved down south, however, people would ask me why I DON'T have a gun. There's a few cities in Georgia that have laws REQUIRING homeowners to have a gun! This is not unusual anywhere down in the southern United States, either! It's almost like a completely different country, within a country. Witness the American Civil War. People in this country feel that it is their God-given right to own a gun, and personally I agree with them. Handguns just ain't for me. When the founding fathers wrote the Bill of Right, the second thing they put in there was 'The Right To Bear Arms'. You can thank your very own King George for that one, for he was adamant about keeping the colonies, and Madison, Jefferson, Hancock and a few others were all for arming the people. Yes, that was 250 years ago. Yes, things are very different now. But, The Bill of Rights is the one document that every American holds sacred; it's the 'bible' of democracy, if you will. So I, along with the majority of the country, feel that if you start tinkering with one amendment, then pretty soon you're tinkering with all of them, and that would be disasterous. No, it's not a perfect system, and stuff like Virginia Tech will always haunt us backers of the Constitution. There will be a lot of finger pointing, name calling and blaming, and probably a ton of lawsuits that stem from this. So, the best we can do is learn from it. I know-tell that to the families of the victims. But the needs of the many have always outweighed the needs of the few. I'll get off of the soapbox now. Feel free to rip apart my sinopsis. :wink:
                    Personally i think it pretty much boils down to a case of monkey see monkey do!! In america there is a crazy missile toting man that kills innocent people for the shear hell of it!! but uses the cover of the word WAR!! I really dont expect much else from his understudies. As tragic as it is and it is TRAGIC!! If BUSH thinks its ok to do it, then i can only see he is leading by example!! and any press release he does speaking about the situation in virginia is a bad case of (pot kettle black). Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Comment

How many people could you mow down with your car?
                      How may people could you mow down with a handgun?
                      What is the difference?
                      It is all about personal responsibility is it not?
                      I am not in favour of the right to bear arms but, it is the user not the law that is the problem.
                      sigpic
                      More than 34,900 viewings and counting
                      Click Here to.................
                      See My Wheels
                      See My Wife's EX Wheels now Sold

Comment

Working...
                      X