This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new seat leon cupra r

saw a seat leon today with a centre exit exhaust like the vxr astra, had vents either side of bumper front and rear too. how does this one compare then ?
    Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

Not sure but it's still a seat

Comment

The new leon has 240ps, same as the astra.
      Its better equipped (climate and xenon lights std fit).
      Its got better brakes (4 pot calipers)

I want to like it (I've currently got the old leon but am probably going to change for a astra)

The Leon has these pros and cons

Pros
      Quicker, cheaper than the golf gti and looks more "special", but its the same car basically.
      Brakes!
      Has had a couple of positive reviews
      Potential R32 killer

Cons
      Interior, compared to my Mk1 Leon Cupra R is crap, tacky plastic.

Stupid body shape - go and open a back door of one, you'll see what I mean, a coupe version will never happen as that golf territoriy. It simply doesnt flow as well as the Mk1 Leon

Visibility - the big one here, I drove a boggo 1600 one and could not see a thing out of the left hand side of the windscreen, this is because the interior mirror blocks the view. The mirror is mounted off the roof because the screen slopes so much. Its suprising how much you look round a corner as you approach it or look to the inside lane as you prepare to move over through the windscreen and I couldnt do this in the Leon.

Quarter windows - Seriously annoying on the motorway, all they do is serve to flash the lane markings at you - why are they there? pointless and ugly.

Costs - Might be a poor mans golf/A3 BUT it costs as much to run, minor service £170 (10k), major £260 (20k), I had a radiator replaced on my Mk1 and it cost £370 - £250 of that was labour! The worst rip off was the brakes - I needed new disks/pads - the disks are not available from any third party (I was told by more than one source "because SEAT havent released them") each disk cost £120, pads about the same plus a bit of labour ended up as £450. You can run an A3 on variable servicing for that sort of cash.

For the reasons above its off the list, in fact the list is pretty short:
      Audi S3 - I like, but not enough to pay £27k
      Golf GTI - overpriced for what it is, dont over a 200hp+ engine
      Golf R32 - big engine, expensive tax, 3.2 v6 not known for its performance (no turbo!!) bloody expensive too.
      Focus ST - heavy engine, expensive tax, only runs tiny boost, quite a bit of body roll and IMHO a bit ugly.
      Astra VXR - Depreciation issues maybe ? Engine is fairly old now ? Will descend into max power readers grubby mitts as they get cheaper ?

So out of that lot the VXR is currently ahead of the pack..

Comment

My brother in law is getting one, certainly looks more than a match for the VXR and the standard features put the VX in the shade.
        Just a pity about the looks. Saying that put the BTCC kit on it and you have a really nice car.
        Not sure about your comments about Seat Alex, very good cars and really hold their value. Their trade in is a 05 plate leon fr, paid 15k new and 2 years later getting 12k as a trade in

Comment

Out of that list. If i could afford them i think i would've had either the s3 or th R32....

Comment

Originally posted by m4rtc
            My brother in law is getting one, certainly looks more than a match for the VXR and the standard features put the VX in the shade.
            Just a pity about the looks. Saying that put the BTCC kit on it and you have a really nice car.
            Not sure about your comments about Seat Alex, very good cars and really hold their value. Their trade in is a 05 plate leon fr, paid 15k new and 2 years later getting 12k as a trade in
            New Inferi Black Seat Leon Cupra 240 with bodykit arriving soon
            The build quality and standard kit (345mm R32 brakes/Real Bi-Xenons/Dual Zone climate/cruise) leave the astra in the shade I'm afraid.
            Seat are part of the same VAG group as Audi and use the same quality control and parts bin. Just not germans that screw them together.
            Also puts the power down much better.
            In test reports the Leon out-braked and out-accelerated the VXR in every category outside 0-60.
            To top it all a simple remap wil see it putting out 307bhp (flywheel! :wink: ).
            sigpic

Comment

so the vxr is gonna be killed by this new seat then any pics or prices yet
              Astra vxr mk2 with stage 1 EDS remap

Comment

Originally posted by corsasrisilver
                so the VXR is gonna be killed by this new seat then any pics or prices yet
                Nope, they are broadly the same performance - just bit better value.

Check out the manufacturer website.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKVXR
                  [ Just not germans that screw them together.
                  Also puts the power down much better.

To top it all a simple remap wil see it putting out 307bhp (flywheel! :wink: ).
                  Build quality isnt as good on SEATs - the radio unit in my car has never sat straight and the whole dashboard is lower on one side than the other, when it was new I had to take it back because the rear bumper was warped and rubbed the bootlid (very common..).
                  the interior of my car is mostly nicked from A3/S3 but the the new leon interior is nothing to do with the rest of VAG - hence why it looks cheap and nasty.

Not sure if its the same bodykit, but I saw one with a kit on in the dealer and sounds a bit like what corsa describes and it was £3.5k !

Remap gives 60hp increase ? hmmm I'd be dubious about that. The 240ps engine is SEATs invention because VAG group wouldn't give them any more that the golf gti engine, so they went out and sorted it out themselves.

Maybe Im biased but I think the Mk1 Leon Cupra R (like mine) was a much better buy, £16k new, worth about £11k after 4 years, better looking, just as well specced (minus xenons).

Comment

This is the results from a stage 1
                    http://www.seatcupra.net/gallery/mai...2_itemId=15030

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty
                      Build quality isnt as good on SEATs - the radio unit in my car has never sat straight and the whole dashboard is lower on one side than the other, when it was new I had to take it back because the rear bumper was warped and rubbed the bootlid (very common..).
                      the interior of my car is mostly nicked from A3/S3 but the the new leon interior is nothing to do with the rest of VAG - hence why it looks cheap and nasty.

Not sure if its the same bodykit, but I saw one with a kit on in the dealer and sounds a bit like what corsa describes and it was £3.5k !

Remap gives 60hp increase ? hmmm I'd be dubious about that. The 240ps engine is SEATs invention because VAG group wouldn't give them any more that the golf gti engine, so they went out and sorted it out themselves.

Maybe Im biased but I think the Mk1 Leon Cupra R (like mine) was a much better buy, £16k new, worth about £11k after 4 years, better looking, just as well specced (minus xenons).
                      Not good news about your car, but having previously had 3 Seats and 2 Audis all different models very confident of the same build quality.
                      Audi and Seat are part of the VAG 'Sport' group and VW and Skoda VAG 'popular' (or somesuch word!)

The remap most definitely gives that power output as Revo/Superchips have both found and their are plenty of dyno graphs floating around from a number of different sources which tally
                      Having driven a remapped Golf Edition 30 its entirely believable!

The Cupra engine is basically the S3 engine with a different compression ratio. All the same internal upgrades and the twin scroll K04 turbocharger.
                      Hence why the S3 engine is mapping out to 310ish and the Cupra 307ish
                      sigpic

Comment

Is it 4wd? If so it will lose power through the transmission like scoobs etc, so a stage 3 VXR should still be faster

Comment

Originally posted by TEACH
                          Is it 4wd? If so it will lose power through the transmission like scoobs etc, so a stage 3 VXR should still be faster
                          Nope fwd same as the Astra.

Comment

being the same engine as whats in the GTi edition 30, if its tuned to 300 bhp with a straight map a stage 2 astra VXR has more torque and a stage 3 much more torque but still less bhp

Comment

303 bhp and 310ftlb torque from that stage 1

Comment

Working...
                              X