X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie
    replied
    every magazine has a difference of opinion and experience of the driver, few have said place the cupra engine in the standard gti (for some reason not the same praise is being seen for the edition 30) and you will have the perfect combination, as for the stig, who knows which one is which but this one seemed to be able to get the power down and deliver some good times for all the cars he drove with the megane destroying them all and the astra placed nicely second, his only complaint being the power delivery, handling and braking he was impressed with, but saying that the slowest on circuit being his favourite, CTR.

im liking the cupra in yellow though

Leave a comment:

• Crafty
    replied
    Originally posted by Aussie
    vectra VXR has biggies up front and they aint anything to rave about, on the cupra they might be great for 240 through to about 280 odd but 330 and we are telling a different story, a few mags have now commented on its chassie and handling the 240ps so how will a standard set up take to 300 - 330 ?

top gear mag had that shoot out last month with the stig behind the wheel of each, the cupra was some 1.5secs down on the astra per lap
    Im sure the cupra brakes (maybe with a set of pads) will look after 300hp easily enough.

BlackVxr - are you getting a cupra as well as or instead of your astra ?

Leave a comment:

• Insignia VXR
    replied
    Didn't we all agree a while back when he drove the Astra and the Vectra the current Stig can't drive FWD for Toffee

Feb21....Autocar Bedford Autodrome lap times :
    1st Audi S3
    2nd R26
    3rd Leon Cupra/Astra VXR
    5th Clio 197
    6th Golf Gti
    7th Mazda 3 MPS/Golf R32
    9th Cooper S
    10th Focus ST2
    11th CTR

“Drive the Leon Cupra back to back with an Astra VXR and you’ll appreciate that its a far more competently engineered car. What it isn’t, however, is a more exciting car. Where the Astra will possibly be a little slower on a given cross country route, it’ll leave you thrilled, dry-mouthed and possibly a little sweaty palmed. The Leon, on the other hand, will have demolished the Vauxhall without a great deal of drama.”

“The Cupra is strong enough to fend off the Astra VXR and Mazda 3 MPS, but it won’t tempt us from the similarly priced and still more appealing Focus ST or Mégane R26.”

Braking.................................................. ................Astra.....Leon
    Stopping distance in metres in 4th at 40 km/h.....28,76.....26,63
    Stopping distance in metres in 5th at 50 km/h.....29,52.....27,94

With the £1350 you save on STANDARD Cupra kit AFL Xenons /Folding Mirrors/Cruise/Climate you would feel happier about forking out for APs if you needed them anyway.

Anyway back to std cars, having driven both on twisty bits I don't think there is much in the handling.
    I'm just impressed with the standard equipment/price of the Cupra and the performance gain per pound available.
    Both are mucho better than the astra and so leave the Cupra owners much better placed for upgrading to any tuning stage.
    I can't wait for the Cupra to arrive today

Astra looks nice though

Leave a comment:

• Aussie
    replied
    vectra VXR has biggies up front and they aint anything to rave about, on the cupra they might be great for 240 through to about 280 odd but 330 and we are telling a different story, a few mags have now commented on its chassie and handling the 240ps so how will a standard set up take to 300 - 330 ?

top gear mag had that shoot out last month with the stig behind the wheel of each, the cupra was some 1.5secs down on the astra per lap

Leave a comment:

• Crafty
    replied
    Probably wouldn't need the brakes - at 345mm they are bigger than my LCR (323mm I think) with big 4 pot calipers its probably the equivelent (or close on) to the APs, but factory fit
    However, as I said earlier theres a price to pay for pads/disks when they need replacing.

I'd like to see someone develop a wilwood setup, be cheaper than the APs and could be just as good.

Leave a comment:

• Aussie
    replied
    figures are all good but if you havent tuned the chassie and uprated brakes for that power you might as well brag about it at the pub

Leave a comment:

• Insignia VXR
    replied
    Originally posted by m4rtc
    303 bhp and 310ftlb torque from that stage 1
    330bhp (flywheel! :wink: ) for stage 3 with Milltek and Forge FMIC. :wink:

Let you know how the private track speed testing goes against the Astra

Leave a comment:

• Crafty
    replied
    Ok, I take it back on the power claims, quite suprising though.

I still say the SEATs arent as well built - especially the bits they engineer themselves (for example Mk1 leons were well known for rear door seals leaking).

Still rather have the astra

Just a thought reading this - has anyone played with an astra by sticking a bigger turbo on and then remapping it ? Garrett turbos are cheap, I reckon something from the GT lineup ( .63 AR GT25 maybe?) would be more bang for bucks than bolting on an exhaust. Granted you need to make a manfold but its been done before and isnt rocket science!

Maybe one of the tuners will have a play with their demo cars

Leave a comment:

• Aussie
    replied
    so what was it at the wheels

Leave a comment:

• m4rtc
    replied
    303 bhp and 310ftlb torque from that stage 1

Leave a comment:

• Aussie
    replied
    being the same engine as whats in the GTi edition 30, if its tuned to 300 bhp with a straight map a stage 2 astra VXR has more torque and a stage 3 much more torque but still less bhp

Leave a comment:

• m4rtc
    replied
    Originally posted by TEACH
    Is it 4wd? If so it will lose power through the transmission like scoobs etc, so a stage 3 VXR should still be faster
    Nope fwd same as the Astra.

Leave a comment:

• TEACH
    replied
    Is it 4wd? If so it will lose power through the transmission like scoobs etc, so a stage 3 VXR should still be faster

Leave a comment:

• Insignia VXR
    replied
    Originally posted by Crafty
    Build quality isnt as good on SEATs - the radio unit in my car has never sat straight and the whole dashboard is lower on one side than the other, when it was new I had to take it back because the rear bumper was warped and rubbed the bootlid (very common..).
    the interior of my car is mostly nicked from A3/S3 but the the new leon interior is nothing to do with the rest of VAG - hence why it looks cheap and nasty.

Not sure if its the same bodykit, but I saw one with a kit on in the dealer and sounds a bit like what corsa describes and it was £3.5k !

Remap gives 60hp increase ? hmmm I'd be dubious about that. The 240ps engine is SEATs invention because VAG group wouldn't give them any more that the golf gti engine, so they went out and sorted it out themselves.

Maybe Im biased but I think the Mk1 Leon Cupra R (like mine) was a much better buy, £16k new, worth about £11k after 4 years, better looking, just as well specced (minus xenons).
    Not good news about your car, but having previously had 3 Seats and 2 Audis all different models very confident of the same build quality.
    Audi and Seat are part of the VAG 'Sport' group and VW and Skoda VAG 'popular' (or somesuch word!)

The remap most definitely gives that power output as Revo/Superchips have both found and their are plenty of dyno graphs floating around from a number of different sources which tally
    Having driven a remapped Golf Edition 30 its entirely believable!

The Cupra engine is basically the S3 engine with a different compression ratio. All the same internal upgrades and the twin scroll K04 turbocharger.
    Hence why the S3 engine is mapping out to 310ish and the Cupra 307ish

Leave a comment:

• m4rtc
    replied
    This is the results from a stage 1
    http://www.seatcupra.net/gallery/mai...2_itemId=15030

Leave a comment:

Working...
X