Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for any painters out there.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A question for any painters out there.

    Whats the best paint to use on newly fitted brake pipes ? I was thinking maybe just hammerite paint ? its not on the VXR its a Starlet GT turbo I'am building at the mo.
    CORSA VXR & NISSAN 200sx Turbo!!!!!

    Nissan running at 260+ BHP !!!!! bye bye ST!!

    1990 Starlet GT turbo project ! running Subaru WRX turbo !

  • #2
    Originally posted by corsaopc View Post
    Whats the best paint to use on newly fitted brake pipes ? I was thinking maybe just hammerite paint ? its not on the VXR its a Starlet GT turbo I'am building at the mo.
    Hi mate, give them a rub down with some sandpaper or a red scotch pad then prime them with some etch primer or wash primer (halfords) then probibly your right hammerite would be fine for it, i suppose normal car paint would chip off easy.

    Comment


    • #3
      And if by magic

      See id have said Dulux but he would know
      HeavenlyDetail
      .
      Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by W4GCN View Post
        Hi mate, give them a rub down with some sandpaper or a red scotch pad then prime them with some etch primer or wash primer (halfords) then probibly your right hammerite would be fine for it, i suppose normal car paint would chip off easy.
        Thanks i have made up new ones so there brand new. Now I remember you saying that you were a paint sprayer, now back to the underseal question, this car has been undersealed at the factory and its still in good nick but i want to the arches again, do I strip the old underseal off and redo or just paint on top of the extisting stuff with waxoil ? its a 1990 reg.
        CORSA VXR & NISSAN 200sx Turbo!!!!!

        Nissan running at 260+ BHP !!!!! bye bye ST!!

        1990 Starlet GT turbo project ! running Subaru WRX turbo !

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by corsaopc View Post
          Thanks i have made up new ones so there brand new. Now I remember you saying that you were a paint sprayer, now back to the underseal question, this car has been undersealed at the factory and its still in good nick but i want to the arches again, do I strip the old underseal off and redo or just paint on top of the extisting stuff with waxoil ? its a 1990 reg.
          You'll never get it to look as good as factory or give it the protection that the factory stuff has .i.e. its been hardening since 1990? I go over it with a wire brush by hand taking all the flaking bits off and clean up any rust areas and may be spot the underseal on any areas of rust once you have cleaned and primed them then wax it.

          Id say though if your go with the factory stuff give it a good roughing up to create a key and paint it satin black before waxoyling it to get the original factory look under the wax...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by W4GCN View Post
            You'll never get it to look as good as factory or give it the protection that the factory stuff has .i.e. its been hardening since 1990? I go over it with a wire brush by hand taking all the flaking bits off and clean up any rust areas and may be spot the underseal on any areas of rust once you have cleaned and primed them then wax it.

            Id say though if your go with the factory stuff give it a good roughing up to create a key and paint it satin black before waxoyling it to get the original factory look under the wax...

            The factory stuff is in really good nick, could I hand paint arches in satin black like you said and then hand paint with waxoil ? any type of black paint to use ?
            CORSA VXR & NISSAN 200sx Turbo!!!!!

            Nissan running at 260+ BHP !!!!! bye bye ST!!

            1990 Starlet GT turbo project ! running Subaru WRX turbo !

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by corsaopc View Post
              The factory stuff is in really good nick, could I hand paint arches in satin black like you said and then hand paint with waxoil ? any type of black paint to use ?
              Aye id do that or buy some satin black areosols from halfords or similar and do it with that and hand paint the wax on there.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by W4GCN View Post
                Aye id do that or buy some satin black areosols from halfords or similar and do it with that and hand paint the wax on there.
                Thanks a lot ! can I ask why just of out interest why to put the black paint on first ? I was thinking of using hammerite smooth satin black paint before painting on the waxoil, is that ok ? it won't wash or dop off will it ???
                CORSA VXR & NISSAN 200sx Turbo!!!!!

                Nissan running at 260+ BHP !!!!! bye bye ST!!

                1990 Starlet GT turbo project ! running Subaru WRX turbo !

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by corsaopc View Post
                  Thanks a lot ! can I ask why just of out interest why to put the black paint on first ? I was thinking of using hammerite smooth satin black paint before painting on the waxoil, is that ok ? it won't wash or dop off will it ???
                  No thats fine if you brush it on, im a painter so spraying is the way forward for me, id be a painter and decorator if i had a brush

                  Nah it wont fall off, make sure its "keyed" rubbed or roughed up. It will stick as its had stoned thrown at it since 1990 so its bound to be a bit rough...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    thanks again. doing this will proberly be as good as a pro if done CORRECTLY right ?
                    CORSA VXR & NISSAN 200sx Turbo!!!!!

                    Nissan running at 260+ BHP !!!!! bye bye ST!!

                    1990 Starlet GT turbo project ! running Subaru WRX turbo !

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by corsaopc View Post
                      thanks again. doing this will proberly be as good as a pro if done CORRECTLY right ?
                      Yip they will never know mate, you sound like your picking it up no bother atol and making a good job, dont be shy with putting some pics up...

                      Im putting a new inner wheel arch on my mates UK 98 Intergra type R and have to get it as close to factory finish as i can so its a tricky old rotten job, i may put pics up to show how i did it...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'am doing a Starlet GT building at the min COMPLETE rebuild converting from carb to fuel injection. I have a wobly quarter panel to sort? a crushed sill to do and and odd ding and dent, rewire the whole car with the Turbo loom its never ending. The wobly panel has me puzzled? I'am guessing heat applyed to it maybe.
                        CORSA VXR & NISSAN 200sx Turbo!!!!!

                        Nissan running at 260+ BHP !!!!! bye bye ST!!

                        1990 Starlet GT turbo project ! running Subaru WRX turbo !

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by corsaopc View Post
                          I'am doing a Starlet GT building at the min COMPLETE rebuild converting from carb to fuel injection. I have a wobly quarter panel to sort? a crushed sill to do and and odd ding and dent, rewire the whole car with the Turbo loom its never ending. The wobly panel has me puzzled? I'am guessing heat applyed to it maybe.
                          Nah stay away from it with heat you'll shrink it....

                          Get some pics up and ill tell you the crack im off to my bed just now tho...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by W4GCN View Post
                            Nah stay away from it with heat you'll shrink it....

                            Get some pics up and ill tell you the crack im off to my bed just now tho...
                            Ok thanks. I'll try and get some up.
                            CORSA VXR & NISSAN 200sx Turbo!!!!!

                            Nissan running at 260+ BHP !!!!! bye bye ST!!

                            1990 Starlet GT turbo project ! running Subaru WRX turbo !

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X