This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any mountain bikers, help please?

Hi all, I could do with some advice please, i've had a mountain bike for many years, i've ran it into the ground.

So my Girlfriend wants to buy me a new one for my birthday, I could do with some advice as theres too many to choose from, have a budget of around £300 max.

Have been looking at this one:
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/pr...ball_Bike_2009

I'm a bit of a tart you see, I want it to look good as well

Must have disc brakes, and trigger style gear change, not gripshift. Would prefer some chunky tyres as well

Please somebody help!

All depends on where you are riding I guess.
    I have a Kona Kula Deluxe X-country bike which suits me as I use it to commute as well as off-road.
    Can`t go wrong with a Trek or a Giant but the specs look reasonable on the Mongoose.
    If you are going to hammer it offroad you may be better to spend a bit more though.
    Good luck

Comment

One of the most popular bike for that price is a Specialized Hardrock, very good bike.
      Being this time of year, 2010 models are coming out, so have a good hunt around as 2009 bikes will be discounted and you can get some real bargains.

Comment

Any links for that bike or sites that will be a decent enough price?

I'm not going to go mad to be honest, it may get a bit rough, willl mostly be riding on dirty and rocky trails, probably not down mountains

Comment

Originally posted by mini-eggs View Post
          One of the most popular bike for that price is a Specialized Hardrock, very good bike.
          Being this time of year, 2010 models are coming out, so have a good hunt around as 2009 bikes will be discounted and you can get some real bargains.

Comment

have a chat with vxr marc he has a cool mountain bike nd knows his stuff
            sigpic
            stealth no more but beware of the silver lightning GSI with vxr power
            M.U.F.C.
            http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

www.wiggle.co.uk is usually the best for prices, I've just ordered a TT bike from there that was £472 off the RRP

Astra

Comment

www.chainreactioncycles.com and www.evanscycles.com are also good for new. It can pay to look for a 2nd hand one though as you can get loads for your money. If you have a look at the classifieds on www.bikeradar.com that should give you an idea. As for brakes, I agree with discs, but make sure they are hydraulic and not cable operated. Main thing to do is try to get a decent frame from the start as all the other bits can be upgraded as neccessary.

Comment

Working...
                X