This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning Permission

Hey guys just been told that you dont planning permission for a loft conversion does anyone know if this is true? also what about putting a window in?

pretty sure you would only need permission if it was a listed building

Comment

i'm pretty sure you do if classing it as a bedroom when selling the house on, otherwise is only known as floored storage.

also think the floors have to be minimum 18mm thick chipboard...

the joiners will be along soon to help yeh out lol...

Comment

i fink gettin the window don u wil need prmission!! only problem u wil hav is wen sellin the house if u didn get plannin permission!! the people that are gonna buy it wil geta survey done, this wil then show its not the same as in the plans, so mortgage company wont approve the mortgage on it, if that makes sense!!! this happened 2 ma mate last year wen tryin 2 buy his 1st house, loft conversion looked awesome, but wasnt aproved, the previus owner had 2 remove the stairs leadin up2 it and board it all up!!

hope this helps
        Originally posted by VXR Staff
        Billy junior is the future...

Right off to see if the scythe is needed or not

Comment

Sure you need planning You could prob do it without at your own risk, BUT come the time to sell house you gonna have big problemo if you don't, cos when surveyer comes round with original plan...hmmm this loft conv is not on here...

Comment

Originally posted by W28LLY View Post
            i fink gettin the window don u wil need prmission!! only problem u wil hav is wen sellin the house if u didn get plannin permission!! the people that are gonna buy it wil geta survey done, this wil then show its not the same as in the plans, so mortgage company wont approve the mortgage on it, if that makes sense!!! this happened 2 ma mate last year wen tryin 2 buy his 1st house, loft conversion looked awesome, but wasnt aproved, the previus owner had 2 remove the stairs leadin up2 it and board it all up!!

hope this helps
            Lol beat me to it....

Comment

Originally posted by mester-d View Post
              Lol beat me to it....
              if i took a litte longer typing ud hav beaten me!!!
              Originally posted by VXR Staff
              Billy junior is the future...

Right off to see if the scythe is needed or not

Comment

Don't need planning permission as such, but you do need to submit your plans to a building inspector. It's a rule to stop cowboy builders doing shoddy jobs!!
                The only queries when selling come from external changes i.e building lines/extensions or like I had at mine, the position of my concrete garage had changed.
                Burg #332 - 270 bhp - gone
                Mazda 3 MPS - 490 bhp - gone
                Audi S4 - MRC stage 2/490 bhp....so far

Comment

cheers guys great advice, is there anything that would stop my getting permision for it? and how long does it usually take to be approved?

Comment

It should be quite quick assuming the plans are correct and don't need any alterations.
                    What exactly are you doing, a straight conversion or putting a dormer on?
                    Burg #332 - 270 bhp - gone
                    Mazda 3 MPS - 490 bhp - gone
                    Audi S4 - MRC stage 2/490 bhp....so far

Comment

you dont need permission to put in velux windows only if you are puting in dormas etc. you can deck it out as a room and put velux s in and no permission needed

Comment

I,ve done a few conversion, if its on a house then it becomes 3 storeys high. May come in to fire regs if its a bed room. if its a hobby/ work room you dont have to put fire doors in. As long as the floor joists are strong enough ,the insulations up to regs etc. for windows i think velux ones are ok as long as you have other windows looking out at the same side. if you change any of the out side you will have to have planing.[ doormers etc]

Comment

yes then becomes costly staiways , trimmers etc build regs

Comment

All the one's i've done , have not been bedrooms if you know what i mean

Comment

Working...
                            X