Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Hatches From IFA Frankfurt 2009 (incl review of GTI-R)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Hatches From IFA Frankfurt 2009 (incl review of GTI-R)

So then The hot hatches from Frankfurt. I drove them all and what fun they all were. No RS pics as I really dislike the tarted ST and well too many pictures have been posted of it. Not doubting its potential but well bye bye RS your limelight is over, so read on for more. Also no MAzda 3 MPS or Seat Leon as the pics came out blurry. Two massive standouts for me that move the ball game to another level. Sorry I have edited my review of how they drive until the magazines get to test them so the mini review might not make complete sense why I decide what I do. If you really must know and you twist my arm I might talk in private.

The Renault Megane 250. Fantastic car to drive (Think new Clio 200 but more grown up). No as focused as the R26R but then not designed to be. Personally I dislike the styling but then again no fat **** so a big improvement on the old one and do not get me started on the tat that is the interior. Long way to go on the interior front Renault!

A Pic of the Subaru impreza WRX engine. Eww on the Colour

Reigers Tarted Scirroco woth intersting alloys.

And MSdesgins Tarted Mk6 Golf

The OPC race camp edition Astra VXR. I actually like this, no chavvy graphics of the burg, just white with black roof and black rims, door mirrors and diffuser.

A police tarted Scirroco

Seats Ibiza 5 door concept hot hatch which rumours say will be released at some point. Love the brakes

So on to my favourite cars of the show.

The Scirroco R and the GTI-R

So why did I say what I said about the Focus RS read on. So the GTI-R....

Think GTI but with more grunt (270BHP compared to 210. This car is focused on doing everything superbly well, the interior is Merc/BMW good (Sorry Vauxhall the new Astra does not come close to this) and everything about it screams understated. I really cannot tell you how impressive the interior is, the seats are lovely, the extra recaro's are not necessary. The engine note is not old R32 like but it growls just fine!. It will be available as a 5 door. This is the hot hatch for Grown ups and on track I reckon bye bye RS see you later. TBH There will not be much in it but still the GTI-R for the win.

So onto price, now this actually undercuts the RS in Germany, not by much but then again you get 4WD, 4 pot brakes, A quality interior and no poor bodykit. This car is a car that does not scream look at me like the RS does but by golly it does not need to, if anything the RS is the poor relation to this. I like this a lot and it is my new king of the hot hatches.

So this brings me neatly onto the Scirroco R. Think Antithesis on the GTI-R: 260BHP, no 4WD, the big brakes are there, the balance there. Again styling is not look at me it is subtle, interior is nice but not Golf good. After all it is based on the Eos so not desgined to be as good as the golf. Price wise it is cheaper then the Golf and is a 4 seater well realistically 2 seats as with me driving no one other then a child could sit in the rear seat behind me.

So there we have it 2 cars that have suddely bumped up the game to another level. Hats off to you VW excellent job, Vauxhall/Opel I hope you are paying attention the VXR better be very good but I have a feeling that interior wise going on the mk6 astra you are already a behind! TBH I am actually satggered at how far hot hatches have come. This new breed (and I include the RS in this) would easily frighthen the supercars of old!

So for me if it had to be a hot hatch, it would be no question the GTI-R. Vaxhaull we look to you next!
    Last edited by BasilD; 7 October 2009, 04:08 AM.

The Golf GTI-R will be my next car

Comment

Golf GTi R looks very nice. But it will cost circa £28,500!

Stu

Comment

yes, that the Golf R is great !!!

lost of interesting machines there, but the Golf is my favorite
        MB E63s AMG
        MB C63 AMG & Performance Package
        Megane R.S. 250 CUP - Gone, But Not Forgotten
        Opel Corsa OPC / VXR - Gone, But Not Forgotten

Comment

good write up an some great pictures,the white mk6 golf with the msdesigns kit is very nice,infact its the nicest golf in along time imo,the vxr does have alot of catching up but it will probaly be 5/6k cheaper which is a fair bit of money.only time will tell.

stu when do you think we will see the new vxr
          sigpic

Comment

That Golf GTi R might have to be my next car instead of the Ausi S3, whens it available??

Comment

Originally posted by the vxr mothership View Post
              Golf GTi R looks very nice. But it will cost circa £28,500!

Stu
              Yikes so more then the RS in The UK. Nice good to see they kept the trend of Germany going!.... Not. It is marginally cheaper then an RS out there.

Still has the same quality of the lower spec Golfs, but I still think the Astra VXR should aspire to better this even though they are slightly different class cars i.e. VXR against the GTI and the GTI-R against the RS. Can we not have a VXR special as well?

GTI-R Available from Early next year.

Comment

Well the 4wd system on the Golf R20 and tuning potential on the engine being used will see 300bhp with a remap just makes me moist just looks so much better than the scirocco r20. The vxr would have to do a lot to be near this, though i can see it being better than the standard gti golf no problem power and acceleration wise.

Comment

Originally posted by bellamy06 View Post
                  That Golf GTi R might have to be my next car instead of the Ausi S3, whens it available??
                  It looks so much more focused than an S3 and really like the rear led lights and recaros.

Comment

Originally posted by R15MTY View Post
                    Well the 4wd system on the Golf R20 and tuning potential on the engine being used will see 300bhp with a remap just makes me moist just looks so much better than the scirocco r20. The vxr would have to do a lot to be near this, though i can see it being better than the standard gti golf no problem power and acceleration wise.
                    There is a offical Channel to tune the VW's via ABT according to the VW people. I confirmed this with the ABT people and they reckon tuning will take it up to 340BHP quite comfortably and for a bit more dosh even 400BHP they also reckon most are pushing more then the quoted 270BHP and are actually closer to 290. Also bear in mind this engine is actually based on the older Mk5 GTI engine so tuning potential is well established. The list of tuning parts was very vast indeed from Bilstein coilovers, to bigger brakes, intercoolers etc.
                    Last edited by BasilD; 7 October 2009, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R15MTY View Post
                      It looks so much more focused than an S3 and really like the rear led lights and recaros.
                      It does, it is pretty much an S3 in a diferent guise, improved on the S3 imo

Comment

Only slightly blurry Cupra R

sigpic

Comment

not keen on that tbh,not only the colour but the design is pretty bad an they stole the corsas steering wheel
                          sigpic

Comment

I think everyone stole the wheel from Lamborghini
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Insignia VXR View Post
                              I think everyone stole the wheel from Lamborghini
                              the snowflakes on the vxls are very similar to a set of lambo wheels aswell
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X