This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited Mileage

Alright guys, Just renewed my insurance this afternoon, £680 with greenlight which I didnt think was to bad. That was with no no claims protected, I asked how much it will cost to protect my no claims and they no charge extra, Awesome so paid it all up and nice and happy

About 5 mins later I got a phone call saying they forgot to ask for the mileage of the car as its on a limited mileage policy, No problem i thought and gave them the mileage. Waited on hold and he got back to me, Sorry sir you went over you last years mileage by 78 miles, You need to pay £70 to up the mileage band from last year, WAT!

I have always been on a limited mileage policy as the car is only used at the weekend, ok the last insurers didnt actually asked for the mileage but I always thought the limit was an approx annual mileage, You cant always be sure you wont go over the limit, Fair enough if i mentioned 10k and i actually done 15 or 20k instead but 78miles is a little harsh.

Rant Over, Just needed to vent the frustration of paying an extra £70, I could of gone to admiral for a 690, but then my no claims wouldnt be protected so i suppose you win one way but they get you another

Just a word of warning for those with greenlight dont go over you limit

I've always rang the insurers up in the past if I'm getting close to my AGREED limit and know I'm going to go over it. With so many insurers trying to wriggle out of claims it's just not worth the risk.
    Look on the bright side - Imagine if you'd wrote your car off just before your last policy expired and they refused cover due to you being 70 miles over your annual agreed mileage.

(Yeah it does suck though lol )
    VXR8 LS3 - PHANTOM BLACK. WP Power Pack Remap, Bi-Modal Exhaust, WP Cats & Headers, 20" Alloys, Lowered Suspension, HSV ID Kit, WP Wheel Centres

GONE ------- Zafira VXR - Power Red - Stage 3 / Zafira VXR - Arden Blue / Astra VXR Nurburgring - Stage 2 / Astra VXR - Power Red

Comment

i just took a policy out with greenlight with highway.
      paid 682. 5yrs no claims.
      the mrs and ncb protection was included FOC in that, but not on a limited mileage policy! havent been asked what the mileage is either!!

nice heads up though!

Comment

Originally posted by Spool View Post
        i just took a policy out with greenlight with highway.
        paid 682. 5yrs no claims.
        the mrs and ncb protection was included FOC in that, but not on a limited mileage policy! havent been asked what the mileage is either!!

nice heads up though!
        Im with Highway to. NCB wasnt protected to begin with as this was the first yr i had 5 yrs to protect, Im glad i asked now as it was free.
        I asked specifically for a limited mileage policy as I dont use the car during the week as i have a work van and it only gets used at the weekend. Should imagine if I was unlimited it would be higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Phatashki View Post

greenlight have been shocking for me this year

They have gone from being reasonable and one of the cheapest to

"sorry sir but we can no longer insure your postcode"

Its in wakefield !! a WF postcode.

If it was some LS postcode next to some dodgy area of leeds (as there are a few) i could understand, but ive checked the database and its not that bad at all.

And obviously the other insurers dont think so, as chriss knott could insure me for £930 even with only 2 years NCB when ive got a driving ban and mods. Both of which i declared to them.

If the postcode was that rubbish, i wouldnt get insured. Some on here even think chriss knott are too picky about postcodes.

Comment

Im with them, there ****.

Rabbid Tuned - WG Motorworks
            www.wgmotorworks.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Phatashki View Post
              A limited Mileage policy is just that. Limited to a mileage. Doesn't matter which company you're with, they'll all have the same policy.

To be honest you were lucky, if you had needed to have claimed (for what ever reason) and you were over your insured mileage limit, your insurance would have not paid out.

Yes, 78 miles does seem a little petty, but they have to be to the letter of the law. The line needs to be drawn somewhere. So, 1 mile over is over.

I have two cars on a limited policy, the first year of owning the Lotus Carlton, i ended up ringing them to get the exact mileage i have insured up to. Ended up SORNing it 2 miles under.

It's just annoying getting that extra bill.
              sigpic
              Currently Driving - Lotus Carlton - Astra TwinTop - MINI Clubman Cooper - Nova GSi
              Written off - Meriva VXR

Comment

Working...
              X