This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorway police.....

hear me out here people haha..... does it ever wind you up on the motorway when you get to a 60mph tailback on the motorway for no reason, finally get to the front of it and its just because people are too worried to go past a marked up police car at any speed at all but if it were an unmarked car 90% of the motorists wouldnt even notice that there was a police car there!

my suggestion would be to have rolling motorway patrols as unmarked cars to stop this happening then the old nobber thats doin 100mph and not payin enough attention to spot an unmarked cop car would get done yet the rest of the people around wouldnt get stuck in a 60mph tailback. im aware that you need marked cars for persuits though so i think they should either stay at base or park up on the old ramps on the side of the motorway. anybody else get annoyed by these useless tailbacks?

Prevention is better than cure. If a marked Police vehicle gets a 1000 cars to slow down and possible prevent a fatal collision thats far better than catching one motorist speeding. In addition their high visibility is more suited when dealing with collisions on the motorway and stopping vehicles on the hard shoulder than unmarked cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
      Prevention is better than cure. If a marked Police vehicle gets a 1000 cars to slow down and possible prevent a fatal collision thats far better than catching one motorist speeding. In addition their high visibility is more suited when dealing with collisions on the motorway and stopping vehicles on the hard shoulder than unmarked cars.
      good reply i like there work. had a do the other day, copper very understanding, they are real people trying to solve real things, there isnt enough police to solve every lil thing

Comment

dont take this as me trying to say the police are rubbish, i like the work they do, and very good answer moeman, i understand what you mean to be fair...

Comment

Originally posted by aldred309uk View Post
          and very good answer moeman,
          ?

TBH our patrol speed is that of the traffic in lane 1 which tends to be 50-55mph.

We do not patrol at the speed limit because of the bunching that causes.

Are you sure you are referring to police vehicles and not our cousins the Hatos?

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Comment

moeman?,they do a good job to be fair but there is a reason for the speed they do,its the other ppl that are in the wrong
            white aero , leather,afl,infinity,tints

Comment

You can't blame the Traffic Cops in marked cars (who do a valuable and often difficult job) ...... its the drivers who aren't prepared to overtake a marked car that cause the problem. Perhaps better driver education is the answer? In my experience, having overtaken many a marked car in the past at 70 (ish) mph traffic flow/weather conditions etc permitting, making sensible progress showing good observation etc I have never had a problem with this from a marked car. Obviously if its pouring with rain and Zero visibility then a different approach would be taken!

Just my 2p's worth :-)

Comment

Originally posted by VX220T View Post
                You can't blame the Traffic Cops in marked cars (who do a valuable and often difficult job) ...... its the drivers who aren't prepared to overtake a marked car that cause the problem. Perhaps better driver education is the answer? In my experience, having overtaken many a marked car in the past at 70 (ish) mph traffic flow/weather conditions etc permitting, making sensible progress showing good observation etc I have never had a problem with this from a marked car. Obviously if its pouring with rain and Zero visibility then a different approach would be taken!

Just my 2p's worth :-)
                more like 10p worth bud
                white aero , leather,afl,infinity,tints

Comment

i have noticed that the wombles tend to drive faster than traffic police, im not suggesting that the police do a bad job, i too pass police at 70 (ish) mph and have no problem what so ever, better driver training and better foresight by people driving on the motorway would stop them braking when they finally notice the police car and slow down to around 65mph before looking at their speedo and getting back to 70 praying they dont get pulled for doing 75! i do like the patrol speed of british police cars, they let you get past them without staring at your speedo like they do in france and other such countries.

i put my point accross at the start of the thread, ive had some good replies and it has changed my perception on my idea!

Comment

Motorways are the safest roads in the country, there's some very basic rules, personally I'm happy to be overtaking slower cars (conditions permitting) passing a marked patrol even if that means I'm doing 80 mph, I just do it safely with a good 2-3 second gap to the car in front, indicating and building speed before I change lanes, I agree with the OP, it can slow a busy carriageway for miles and back traffic up with shorter gaps to the car in front, they should patrol at 70 mph and overtake slower traffic if needed, set a proper example!

Comment

Originally posted by Mystvxr View Post
                      Motorways are the safest roads in the country, there's some very basic rules, personally I'm happy to be overtaking slower cars (conditions permitting) passing a marked patrol even if that means I'm doing 80 mph, I just do it safely with a good 2-3 second gap to the car in front, indicating and building speed before I change lanes, I agree with the OP, it can slow a busy carriageway for miles and back traffic up with shorter gaps to the car in front, they should patrol at 70 mph and overtake slower traffic if needed, set a proper example!
                      i agree with that!

Comment

Originally posted by aldred309uk View Post
                        i have noticed that the wombles tend to drive faster than traffic police, !
                        the wombles love it

I swear they are staffed entirely by police force rejects who joined the highways agency to drive up and down the motorway in a car with flashing lights on the top and get a power trip out of it.

Comment

50-55 mph is about the most economical cruising speed, as you pay for our fuel which would you prefer, and as we are travelling with vehicle that are limited to that speed we do not physically cause an obstruction.

If we travel at 70 how is that going to stop bunching as most people travel at about 80, no one would legally be able to overtake us.

By travelling at a slower speed more vehicle pass us, therefor more people see a police patrol which makes them think about their driving, on the other hand we see more vehicles passing us which gives us a bigger chance of catching an offender, this includes the car that comes up behind us at speed, then slows right down and refuses to pass.

By travelling at a slower speed and in the nearside lane we can easily react to issues on the hard shoulder and in the carriageway eg debris. It is far easier for me to move onto the hard shoulder from lane 1 at 55 than lane 4 at 70.

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Comment

Originally posted by MrLOL View Post
                            the wombles love it

I swear they are staffed entirely by police force rejects who joined the highways agency to drive up and down the motorway in a car with flashing lights on the top and get a power trip out of it.
                            dont forget about them closing an entire motorway (one direction) to remove one bit of debris! and i wet my pants when i see people gettin frustrated about passing wombles because they are going too close to the speed limit and they think they are the police lol!

Comment

Originally posted by moeman View Post
                              50-55 mph is about the most economical cruising speed, as you pay for our fuel which would you prefer, and as we are travelling with vehicle that are limited to that speed we do not physically cause an obstruction.

If we travel at 70 how is that going to stop bunching as most people travel at about 80, no one would legally be able to overtake us.

By travelling at a slower speed more vehicle pass us, therefor more people see a police patrol which makes them think about their driving, on the other hand we see more vehicles passing us which gives us a bigger chance of catching an offender, this includes the car that comes up behind us at speed, then slows right down and refuses to pass.

By travelling at a slower speed and in the nearside lane we can easily react to issues on the hard shoulder and in the carriageway eg debris. It is far easier for me to move onto the hard shoulder from lane 1 at 55 than lane 4 at 70.
                              i see your point there, and debris really starts to wind me up these days after hitting some on the M61 the other day!

what speed do you tend to start pulling people over at on the motorway? is it 85 or 90? im not asking with intent to drive faster on the motorway, its just for the sake of knowing lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X