My project Corsa, AKA Cecil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not much progress recently,
    Installed the download panel for the dash/data logger.

Purchased an Aim lap trigger so I could use my friends track side beacon at considerably less than the £1000 Xap want for their offering.

added a small circuit to amplify the signal and output a single pulse to trigger the dash.

programmed another screen to show lap times as well as other info.

loaded the car into the trailer

and trundled off to Blyton Circuit for a shakedown.

Installed my un-tamed racing driver, some say he has Stella Artois for blood and Tony Southgates wife once ate his dessert! All I know is he's not the Stig....
    First session he managed a couple of laps and came back in because of a smell, turned out the gearbox had belched some oil out of the breather so we jerry rigged an alternate system with a long piece of hose and a discarded water bottle which solved that problem.
    https://youtu.be/wexUcDmt4Ns

Third run of the day and as the wind died down marginally and the temperature came up the oil temperature warning came on so we removed the blocker that I had installed for road use as it was impossible to get the oil hot, another problem resolved.
    https://youtu.be/BESsGT14L8I

For the final run I decided to go out and mostly had the track to myself. Before the criticism starts I'd like to say a) I'm a crap driver b) I havent driven on track for 14 years. c) I've never been to Blyton before. d) I've never driven FWD on track before. e) I don't care, I enjoyed myself.
    https://youtu.be/Mr5rnPRi-wcc

Ready to load up at the end of the day, still in one piece.

Apologies for the wonky camera and after sorting out the lap timing equipment I forgot to use it!
    Last edited by andrewt1971; 5th March 2019, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• Looks like great fun! Do you use the clutch when changing gear with the sequential?
      Astra GSi ~ VXR Injectors / VXR 80mm AFM / VXR Turbo / CDTi Airbox / TS Recirc / K&N / 3" Piper Exhaust / CS FMIC / EBC YellowStuff / Bridgestone S001 / Bilstein B12 Pro-kit / Whiteline RARB
      CS Mapped 285 BHP / 340 Ft.lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by Noxious89123 View Post
        Looks like great fun! Do you use the clutch when changing gear with the sequential?
        Not for upshifts, you don't even lift the throttle, but I do for downshifts, less wear on the box that way.

Comment

• That's ace, so is the ECU setup to cut the ignition or something for the no-lift shifting?
          Astra GSi ~ VXR Injectors / VXR 80mm AFM / VXR Turbo / CDTi Airbox / TS Recirc / K&N / 3" Piper Exhaust / CS FMIC / EBC YellowStuff / Bridgestone S001 / Bilstein B12 Pro-kit / Whiteline RARB

Comment

• Originally posted by Noxious89123 View Post
            That's ace, so is the ECU setup to cut the ignition or something for the no-lift shifting?
            Yes, there's a switch on the rod that operates the selector barrel, when you start to move the stick the switch tells the ecu to retard the ignition, when the potentiometer on the barrel signals its in gear the retard is removed. The shifts take around 0.15 seconds give or take.

Comment

• Awesome to see out on track finally
              Arden Astra VXR Cobra turbo back non-res, Direct route intake, Mfact Plated Diff, Airtec fmic, RARB, DAP's, Enhance Gearbox Breather, RND Droplinks, Heko's, Courts Braided Lines, DS2500 pads, Superblue fluid, led plate bulbs, side lights, fogs, Blue interior led's Forge recirc + actuator, stage 3 map Cams + more to come Build Thread: http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...6-X8-DUD-Arden

Comment

• Pulled the car out of the garage to continue the post shakedown once over. There was a knocking from the rear, this turned out to be a loose nut on the trailing arm which adjusts the toe so out with the strings to reset it.

and unfortunately the engine is smoking, number 1 plug on the right.

Compression is equal across all cylinders but i suspect 12psi of boost /270+bhp has done for the stock piston. Never mind, I wanted to do a 'step 1' engine before building the 'proper' one anyway

Comment

• Started pulling the engine apart to see how broken it was, I removed the exhaust manifold, was very glad to see nothing had got out and damaged the turbo but cylinder one was oilier than I was expecting given the amount of smoke i was seeing.

None of the pistons show any signs of detonation or deformation

But I've definitely broken the stock piston, judging by these marks its broken/damaged the unsupported ring land area directly above the piston pin.

Comment

• What's the plan of action? New pistons and rods and run a hone through the bore, or will it need to come out an go for reboring?

Comment

• I need to source another engine or at least a block, the scoring definitely won't hone out and I'm not even sure a +.5mm rebore would clean it up.

Comment

• Arrived home from work to find these waiting for me..

Comment

• Noice!

Comment

• Yesterday I removed the remains of the engine, that's a tight squeeze with the gearbox still in situ.

Then pulled out piston 1 to have a look and was surprised to find the piston hasn't failed, the pin has walked out of the conrod into the bore, also mangling the rod and crank due to the thrust load. If the engine had run hard any longer it would have probably broken the piston as there is only 1-2 millimetres of pin in the opposite side.

Comment

• Holy poop!

Comment

• Bought a 'low' mileage engine from ebay for £220, tore it down and the claim of 40k miles looks plausible.

Honing marks still clearly visible in the bores

and quite a clean cylinder head

I'll also post these photos of the sump and adapter for the oil pump I use as i've been asked about it a few times but never took any photos..
                                Aluminium adapter bolts on to the original pump where the standard oil pick up pipe would.

and lines up with the integral pickup on the sump, the factory orifice is an odd shape so to ensure it seals i made the small aluminium infill panel with the square hole.

next job is to finish cleaning up the block and drop it off for machining.

Comment

Working...
                                X