Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My project Corsa, AKA Cecil

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nice mate cheap that aswell
    xbox addy -turboyoda85
    Instagram yoda_craig85

    Comment


    • Only a small update.
      Block and head back from machining



      checking and adjusting the piston ring gaps



      Checking the bearing clearances




      All needs a proper clean now and then I can start to re assemble it.

      Comment


      • gave the bores a good scrub then test fitted the pistons to check the deck clearance


        then fitted the rings to the pistons


        Now awaiting gaskets,seals etc so I can continue.

        Comment


        • So its been while since my last update... Basically I got the bottom end mostly built up, was having a tidy up and had a small accident, I dropped the short motor, breaking the corner off the block and bending the crank!


          So I stripped the ,luckily, undamaged pistons and rods out and had to find another block and crank and have it machined and re check all the clearances.......
          I then came to the next problem, early cranks have two flats that drive the oil pump like this.


          Later ones have six flats like this,


          The later pump bodies don't have the crank sensor bracket that I need, luckily the pump rotors are interchangeable, however somebody at GM decided to change the oil seal diameter to a different, dumb, size so the pump body was dropped off for machining to take the later seal.


          I then built up the bottom end and fitted back in the car before I could damage it.


          Then lapped all the valve seats and built the head up with new springs, seats and retainers


          and dropped that back on the block


          Because the head and block have been skimmed I checked all the valve timing (forgot to take a photo with the dial gauges on) found the exhaust to be spot on but the inlet cam was advanced 4(cam) degrees so I redrilled the gear ten teeth plus 4 degrees retarded, pictured here before I timed everything up


          All back together, doesn't look any different to before.


          We've been out for a session to bed everything in, no fluid leaks so should be able to start winding the boost up at the weekend

          Comment


          • Phenomenal thread/build this fair play, an absolutely crackin read

            Rotten luck with dropping the motor! Good to see it all back together and running though!

            Comment


            • Cut the bonnet for extra ventilation



              need to make some guides and gurneys now to finish them off.

              Comment


              • Todays progress..
                Started with some cardboard to get the shape correct I wanted for the guides and gurneys






                Cardboard patterns ready for making in aluminium


                Let the aligami begin







                Next I will polish the aluminium and use them as tools to make carbon ones.

                Comment


                • Polished the aluminium and put some shuttering around the edges

                  Bagged up ready for infusing.

                  Also have bought a good selection of ratios for the gearbox and a few spare parts.

                  These will allow me to gear for speeds between 45-58 mph in first and 110-150 in sixth.

                  Comment


                  • Air guides straight from the tool


                    Start trimming


                    Test fit


                    Bend up some mesh to keep rocks, wildlife, small children out.


                    Hold it all in place with wire and lollipop sticks whilst the glue sets



                    And after the adhesive cured.

                    Last edited by andrewt1971; 17th September 2019, 08:57 PM.

                    Comment


                    • A small update. I needed to do something with the bulkhead closure plate where the gear selector used to go through so.
                      I removed it from the car and weighed it of course...


                      Trimmed it back to leave the flange and screwed it to a board


                      Filled and pattern coated the plate


                      Flatted and polished


                      Mould pulled and polished


                      Layed up and infused


                      Pulled from the mould


                      Trimmed and weighed, a 130g saving.


                      Steel hold down nuts


                      Replaced with aluminium, another 50g saved


                      and the plate fitted


                      Also I have been doing a little mapping but have had to order bigger injectors as I've run out of duty at 1 bar boost at 7200 rpm.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X