Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andrewt1971
    replied
    A small update. I needed to do something with the bulkhead closure plate where the gear selector used to go through so.
    I removed it from the car and weighed it of course...

Trimmed it back to leave the flange and screwed it to a board

Filled and pattern coated the plate

Flatted and polished

Mould pulled and polished

Layed up and infused

Pulled from the mould

Trimmed and weighed, a 130g saving.

Steel hold down nuts

Replaced with aluminium, another 50g saved

and the plate fitted

Also I have been doing a little mapping but have had to order bigger injectors as I've run out of duty at 1 bar boost at 7200 rpm.

Leave a comment:

• andrewt1971
    replied
    Air guides straight from the tool

Start trimming

Test fit

Bend up some mesh to keep rocks, wildlife, small children out.

Hold it all in place with wire and lollipop sticks whilst the glue sets

And after the adhesive cured.

Last edited by andrewt1971; 17th September 2019, 09:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• andrewt1971
    replied
    Polished the aluminium and put some shuttering around the edges

Bagged up ready for infusing.

Also have bought a good selection of ratios for the gearbox and a few spare parts.

These will allow me to gear for speeds between 45-58 mph in first and 110-150 in sixth.

Leave a comment:

• andrewt1971
    replied
    Todays progress..
    Started with some cardboard to get the shape correct I wanted for the guides and gurneys

Cardboard patterns ready for making in aluminium

Let the aligami begin

Next I will polish the aluminium and use them as tools to make carbon ones.

Leave a comment:

• andrewt1971
    replied
    Cut the bonnet for extra ventilation

need to make some guides and gurneys now to finish them off.

Leave a comment:

• azza15
    replied
    Phenomenal thread/build this fair play, an absolutely crackin read

Rotten luck with dropping the motor! Good to see it all back together and running though!

Leave a comment:

• andrewt1971
    replied
    So its been while since my last update... Basically I got the bottom end mostly built up, was having a tidy up and had a small accident, I dropped the short motor, breaking the corner off the block and bending the crank!

So I stripped the ,luckily, undamaged pistons and rods out and had to find another block and crank and have it machined and re check all the clearances.......
    I then came to the next problem, early cranks have two flats that drive the oil pump like this.

Later ones have six flats like this,

The later pump bodies don't have the crank sensor bracket that I need, luckily the pump rotors are interchangeable, however somebody at GM decided to change the oil seal diameter to a different, dumb, size so the pump body was dropped off for machining to take the later seal.

I then built up the bottom end and fitted back in the car before I could damage it.

Then lapped all the valve seats and built the head up with new springs, seats and retainers

and dropped that back on the block

Because the head and block have been skimmed I checked all the valve timing (forgot to take a photo with the dial gauges on) found the exhaust to be spot on but the inlet cam was advanced 4(cam) degrees so I redrilled the gear ten teeth plus 4 degrees retarded, pictured here before I timed everything up

All back together, doesn't look any different to before.

We've been out for a session to bed everything in, no fluid leaks so should be able to start winding the boost up at the weekend

Leave a comment:

• andrewt1971
    replied
    gave the bores a good scrub then test fitted the pistons to check the deck clearance

then fitted the rings to the pistons

Now awaiting gaskets,seals etc so I can continue.

Leave a comment:

• andrewt1971
    replied
    Only a small update.
    Block and head back from machining

checking and adjusting the piston ring gaps

Checking the bearing clearances

All needs a proper clean now and then I can start to re assemble it.

Leave a comment:

• yodacraig
    replied
    Nice mate cheap that aswell

Leave a comment:

• andrewt1971
    replied
    Bought a 'low' mileage engine from ebay for £220, tore it down and the claim of 40k miles looks plausible.

Honing marks still clearly visible in the bores

and quite a clean cylinder head

I'll also post these photos of the sump and adapter for the oil pump I use as i've been asked about it a few times but never took any photos..
    Aluminium adapter bolts on to the original pump where the standard oil pick up pipe would.

and lines up with the integral pickup on the sump, the factory orifice is an odd shape so to ensure it seals i made the small aluminium infill panel with the square hole.

next job is to finish cleaning up the block and drop it off for machining.

Leave a comment:

• Noxious89123
    replied
    Holy poop!

Leave a comment:

• andrewt1971
    replied
    Yesterday I removed the remains of the engine, that's a tight squeeze with the gearbox still in situ.

Then pulled out piston 1 to have a look and was surprised to find the piston hasn't failed, the pin has walked out of the conrod into the bore, also mangling the rod and crank due to the thrust load. If the engine had run hard any longer it would have probably broken the piston as there is only 1-2 millimetres of pin in the opposite side.

Leave a comment:

• Noxious89123
    replied
    Noice!

Leave a comment:

• andrewt1971
    replied
    Arrived home from work to find these waiting for me..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X