This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• virus

guys need urgent help wife opened a email on her laptop and there was one of those virusus attached that takes over everything telling you to buy vista anti virus as you have 27 threats etc ..i cant do any searching as it keeps coming up and when i do a scan its coming back clear how can i get rid of this without formattin as i dont want to lose what i have on it...
    ..... gone but not forgotten.....

Auto Repair:All mechanical and bodywork carried out,services and diagnostics.....

Originally posted by jigger View Post
    guys need urgent help wife opened a email on her laptop and there was one of those virusus attached that takes over everything telling you to buy vista anti virus as you have 27 threats etc ..i cant do any searching as it keeps coming up and when i do a scan its coming back clear how can i get rid of this without formattin as i dont want to lose what i have on it...
    Restart the computer/laptop and go into safe mode, then do a system restore to a couple of days before. Job done

Comment

thx m8 will try that now see if it works

Auto Repair:All mechanical and bodywork carried out,services and diagnostics.....

Comment

defo the system restore danny that should solve it mate. txt on it's way too.

Comment

I would not trust a system restore to remove the virus, system restore the registry but will leave the files behind that caused the infection.

I suggest running a reputable antivirus scan of your machine and following the removal steps.

I would also download and scan with malwarebytes to supplement the AV software.
          | Find | Watch | Follow |

Comment

ive done a full scan it comes back fine....

Comment

What are you scanning with?

Comment

such a lucky bloke lately.................anything else

Comment

Originally posted by joeh View Post
                  such a lucky bloke lately.................anything else
                  yep 4 hours in casualty last night with a bit of metal in my eye lol....

Comment

Originally posted by worky View Post
                    What are you scanning with?
                    mcafee

Comment

I would not trust a system restore to remove the virus, system restore the registry but will leave the files behind that caused the infection.

I suggest running a reputable antivirus scan of your machine and following the removal steps.

I would also download and scan with malwarebytes to supplement the AV software.
                      He'll be fine, restore to a couple of days and do a Virus scan and job done he'll be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Liam View Post
                        He'll be fine, restore to a couple of days and do a Virus scan and job done he'll be fine
                        System restore doesn't remove files though it will repair/replace corrupted monitored program files. Viruses generally hide themselves under areas which will not be affected by System restores. If an application is installed then yep system restore will remove the program reference and the uninstall hive but won't remove the actual files.

OP I would suggest downloading and running the following tool.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

The free product will suffice

Comment

System restore doesn't remove files though it will repair/replace corrupted monitored program files. Viruses generally hide themselves under areas which will not be affected by System restores. If an application is installed then yep system restore will remove the program reference and the uninstall hive but won't remove the actual files.

OP I would suggest downloading and running the following tool.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

The free product will suffice
                          great wee program gareth, i use this all the time just mind and keep updating it

Comment

Originally posted by Black Knight View Post
                            great wee program gareth, i used that all the time just mind and keep updating it
                            Agreed, simple but effective. I often test quite a few AV products due to the line of work I am in and its surprising the things some of the top vendors miss.

Comment

thx guys seems to have worked so far......

Comment

Working...
                              X