This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with wireless?

Hey guys planning on having a loft conversion done soon, and putting my xbox up there, thing is i will be in the loft and my bt home hub is in my living room so i dont think the signal will be too good if i have a phone line put in the loft could i run another router up there, and could i have the same phone line or would it have to be a new one?

not sure bout the other router but a pal two doors down uses mine.

Comment

Will probably be fine - but you could either install another wireless access point or use something like the http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/defa...pID=61&Alt=Yes

Astra

Comment

Should be a decent signal especially as you will be above it, i got it at home but still get a signal in my garage 45 mtrs from the house in all weathers
        sigpic

V8, not for everyone but 10/10 for your effort.

Comment

Originally posted by badboyburt View Post
          Should be a decent signal especially as you will be above it, i got it at home but still get a signal in my garage 45 mtrs from the house in all weathers
          I have my mum using a home hub and the range is impressive - although this can also be a security risk lol

Astra

Comment

Originally posted by nurburgring_409 View Post
            Hey guys planning on having a loft conversion done soon, and putting my xbox up there, thing is i will be in the loft and my bt home hub is in my living room so i dont think the signal will be too good if i have a phone line put in the loft could i run another router up there, and could i have the same phone line or would it have to be a new one?
            BT claim their wifi routers are great when infact they are rubbish !

Most reviewers would claim Netgear 834pn and the new n-draft are far superior, but thats possible additional cost you dont want to bear ?

However you cant do what you state above - you cant run 2 routers off the same phoneline, it doesnt work that way. What you could do if signal is poor is run a CAT5 network cable upto the loft from downstairs or resight your router more accessible an dthen do that

However you wont know until you take a device into the loft to check...

hth
            sigpic

Comment

you should be fine mate as theres not gonna be much stopping the signal only abit of plaster etc.
              sigpic
              3 gauge conversions, Pillar pods

Comment

cheers guys i thought it might be a long shot, i think i might just go and sit in the loft for a bit with my laptop for a bit and see how it goes

Comment

Easiest and least messy way is to use 2 homeplug network plugs. They use the mains line to send a network signal. plug one in nr the router and plug an ethernet cable into it then one nr your xbox and cable into that one. Same as running a cable to the loft without the mess.

A pair of adaptors can be picked up for £50 from pc world or cheaper if you order online.

Have a look here: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...ory_oid=-36490

hth
                  Last edited by ChuGNutS; 3 October 2009, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X