This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel

Can 99RON petrol and 95RON petrol be mixed? Struggling to always fill with 99 so on occassions would fill with 99 then top up with 95. Can this be done with no harmfull effects or not? By the way running a Thorney Stage 3 Insignia VXR. Cheers

Its not a good idea, if you cannot get hold of 99RON have you tried finding 98 or 97RON at other petrol stations. Its better then having to put in 95RON.

If you're forced to run 95RON then you must not drive the car to hard, put enough into get you home and then fill up with 99RON.

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

Nearest 99 and 97 is 20 miles away from me. Car has never run on less than 99 from new. Just need to know if 99 mixed with 95 ends up 97? Octane booster is an option but not one I like. Mixing petrols would only be done on very rare occassions when I can't get 99.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee VXR View Post
        Nearest 99 and 97 is 20 miles away from me. Car has never run on less than 99 from new. Just need to know if 99 mixed with 95 ends up 97? Octane booster is an option but not one I like. Mixing petrols would only be done on very rare occassions when I can't get 99.
        I mixed 99 and 95 50/50 for several weeks on stage 2 with no ill effects, the mix makes it approx 97 ron
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by miniman View Post
          I mixed 99 and 95 50/50 for several weeks on stage 2 with no ill effects, the mix makes it approx 97 ron
          Cheers. At last a simple answer to a simple question. Will only be on the odd occassion so good to know there will be no ill effects.

Comment

yup good question with a good answer, thanks
            sigpic

Comment

Keep an eye on the mix, 50/50 is about right, or 60/40 in favour of 99ron.
              sigpic

Comment

It's been said, but to confirm, mixing fuel is fine. I thinks it's hard to say what Ron youd make simply from adding one to the other but there are no Ill effects from mixing different grades or brands.

Comment

Cheers John.

Comment

With you running stage3 wouldn't the wisest thing be to stick with 99ron.

After all the tuners always insist on running on the highest octane for the map.

Has the map been adjusted to suit 97ron.
                    sigpic

Comment

My vxr was S2 TMS and ran on 95 no problems, albiet not as perky but made no odds or any damage.

Comment

Originally posted by moosh View Post
                        My vxr was S2 TMS and ran on 95 no problems, albiet not as perky but made no odds or any damage.
                        This sounds interesting, petrol price would be more realistic using 95 ron (iknow if i cant afford the 99ron i should sell it) but every penny counts, what actually could happen if you gave it some enthusiastic driving s2 using 95ron ?
                        sigpic

Comment

You should try taking appart an enigne thats done 60k on 95 and another with 60k on 99 and you'll certainly see a different in cleanliness of the valves and pistons.

Secondly the ECU will adapter you'll just loose more power, and use more fuel potentially as it will try and richen up the mixture.

So really, you should be running 99RON and actually doing better MPG therefore not spending anymore.

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbid View Post
                            You should try taking appart an enigne thats done 60k on 95 and another with 60k on 99 and you'll certainly see a different in cleanliness of the valves and pistons.

Secondly the ECU will adapter you'll just loose more power, and use more fuel potentially as it will try and richen up the mixture.

So really, you should be running 99RON and actually doing better MPG therefore not spending anymore.
                            Thanks for a informative reply, 99ron it is.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbid View Post

When your surveying for 6 weeks on an island mate sometime 95 is all you can get , my car had just shy of 89k on it and was as tight as a nut and used daily as a work horse.

I didnt find it used any more or less fuel, if its fuel savings guys are after and wanting to save 10p a litre on running 95 or 99 then buy a diesel is my advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X