X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astra RallyD completes 3 day test

16/03/2007 16:22:00

Following a first successful shake down a week ago, Triple Eight Race Engineerings' new turbo diesel powered Vauxhall Astra RallyD, completed a successful three day gruelling test earlier this week in preparation for the delivery of the first two cars to Thurlby Motors.

Based on the FIA homologated Astra Sport Hatch 1.9 CDTi, the Group N designed RallyD was put though its pace in the hands of Martin Rowe who has been retained as test driver by the Oxfordshire based Engineering company to help develop the car.

Trawsfyndd in Wales was the chosen location for the first part of the test which saw Rowe slowly build up the car's pace on tarmac stages before moving to the Sweet Lamb Rally complex for two days of gravel stages.

On his time behind the wheel of the 200bhp diesel powered car, delivering 440Nm of Torque Rowe commented : "I am really happy with how the test went and the way we worked with the Triple Eight crew on site. We covered over 220 miles in total over three days confirming that the car is well born and we already have a very good base set up for both tarmac and gravel events. The front end grip is very good and allows for a good power delivery while the suspension is working very well on all surfaces and jumps. This being our first test, we have also found some areas for improvements which makes me even more confident that this is a really well built and competitive car which I would love the opportunity to rally in."

Triple Eight Race Engineering Special Projects Manager Raphael Caille who is overseeing the RallyD programme added : "This is Triple Eight's first attempt at a Rally project, and we were very nervous about the outcome of this three day test which went far better than we could have hoped for. Martin really put the car through hell and we did not suffer any reliability issues. We are now confident that we have developed a very good concept and I am happy to see the first cars delivered to our customer Thurlby Motors for them to compete with".
    | Find | Watch | Follow |
Working...
X